The end of buying in a shop?

Guest PA103

Hello dear Aerosoft-workers and users!

As I was yesterday in Trier (Germany) as we have no shop for FS-Stuff in Luxembourg, I wanted to buy new sceneries/aircrafts/tools for my FS9. After beeing there for nearly the whole day, I went, before I was heading home to the Galeria Kaufhof to buy in the SATURN Shop my new things. After walking through the whole Galeria Kaufhof and SATURN I was happy to achieve the last floor, to buy some new addons. Then I searched in the SATURN, the PC Game section and then the Simulation subsection. There I found addons. But when I saw them I was very crestfallen. I thought to find at least 5 to 6 addons, but all I saw was some minor things. Some Abacuspub, which you can truly put in the can. They are from very low quality and there are no realistic flightdynamics, etc. Then I saw some FSX addons(Madeira X, PMDG 747-400X, Heathrow X, PMDG MD-11 X), which are ok, but not for my FS9 and the PMDG MD-11 I already have. I hoped to see some more (newer) Aerosoft addons. But nothing. A lot of those unusable Abacuspub Addons, those FSX addons and a lot of FSX Deluxe and non-Deluxe Editions. But where are my FS9 addons? After checking the whole FS-section, I was very disappointed about this and I'm asking me:

What the hell is going to pass there?

No more FS9 addons only FSX addons, which aren't very close to reality and some other programs which are ok, but not for my FS9?

It's true, that it is maybe over with FS9, because FSX is out and most producers nearly only product for FSX, which is sad, but which is normal, then everyone wants to be "up-to-date". That's ok, but what does those do, which doesn't already have a computer/PC which is good enough for FSX? Does they put the finger in the chops and wait until they have money to buy a such "Monstermachine"? And what about QUALITY? But stop now, the Topic is not FS9 vs. FSX, but The end of buying in a shop!

So I was searching the whole FS section of this SATURN to find at least a good addon. I was happy to see the Aerosoft DHC Twin Otter and as I was very "touched" and interested about this addon, I saw on the "first page" of the addon, the letters "Addon für den Microsoft FLIGHT SIMULATOR X"! ##### I said. There was something interesting and again ONLY FOR FSX?

I continued with searching for a FS9 addon. But nothing! I didn't found anything for FS9! I was so angry, that I went out and that I was very sad! I can't understand why shops like SATURN doesn't make a bigger collection of Stuff for Simulators!

I returned home and I made a Level D 767 flight from EDDF to LLBG with EL AL. After this flight I was again happy and I and my mind was tranquilized.

After this story I'm saying to me, why I take a nearly one-hour-trip to Trier, for buying FS addons, which isn't available.

I know that SATURN is only a "reseller", which normally book/buys addons from Aerosoft and then resell them in their shops.

I think about downloading my FS addons on the internet, but I have my doubt's about this. I am also asking me, what happens, when I Aerosoft runs out of service, which I can't believe, but ever story can become truth and we should never say no!

I would buy online, but I don't know. I know that Aerosoft is a trusted seller, but also this can't calm me!

I am also the one, which until now has preferably a CD/DVD in his hands. But maybe in the future I will buy online!

Maybe.....

But one thing, I am sure about!

I WILL NEVER EVER ACCEPT A ONE-HOUR TRIP TO TRIER TO BUY FS-ADDONS, WHICH AREN'T AVAILABLE OVER THERE!

with kind regards

Kevin

Online is the futur... That's for sure... In Geneva you can get a couple Aerosoft products, actually the first one I bought was MyTrafficX...

All the rest of the addons except FS Altitude and Switzerland Pro have been downloaded ;)

Kevin;

I live in Canada, right in the middle of the Great lakes. In my area, I have vary rarely came across any store that had sold a selection of add-on's for our hobby,(VERY limited) and that was only when the Acceleration Pack was introduced. Unfortunately retailers here are ignoring any items that would sell at the lower end of the volume scale. Quantity over quality, sure, but the vast majority of retailers would not wish for inventory to sit around on there shelving units either. Not that I agree with that philosophy, but that is the way businesses are run. I personally prefer a diverse selection of add-on's that I can look at and compare in a store before I lay down my money. That being said, I have come to embrace purchasing online, there is enough info available about products on the net (these forums are a great example of that) and the selection of additions is vast, much more than any retailer would or even could display in a physical store. We have a saying here "Variety is the spice of life". To get that variety,diversity, and the opportunity to purchase what I want,(not what the store tells me I have to buy, through there limited selections) I am afraid that is the way I see our hobby progressing. We are going to have to purchase on-line.

My two cent's

Randy

Hello Kevin,

I believe Mathijs mentioned the issue regarding boxed products for older versions of Flight Simulator in some of the major stores.

A lot of places wont entertain boxed products for older Sims. The reason you saw some there was because of the very reasons you stated

they aren't shifting them.. Shops dont like to keep things on there shelves forever they like to make a quick turnaround where as dedicated stores will stock older stuff.

• Aerosoft

Kevin, I am sorry to read about your experiences. But to write a platitude, you are barking up the wrong tree. If we could have all our products in all shops we would gladly do it but fact is that it is hard these days to get FS addons in shops. To get pure FS2004 addons into shops is nearly impossible, the major shops simply don't order them. They feel, right or wrong, the market is very limited. Believe me, we fight real hard to correct this but it simply is not always possible. But for sure it is not our fault, okay?

Now you got two options.

• buy your boxes by mail order. We sell all our products and a great deal of products from other companies via our shop. And just check via Google you will find very little or no complaints. If anything this is our best organized department. You will also see that in many occasions the shipping costs are low or we offer free shipping. You order and wait at home until we deliver the product to your house. How much better can things get?
  • go for the download option. Same product, same files (if anything a bit more up to date), no waiting, no shipping and almost always a bit cheaper. Same company, same support. Now clearly you are a bit hessitant to go for the download option. You're not the only one. But I like to show you it works, it's safe and it's easy. And I'll put my (okay, our) money where my mouth is. I will ask our community managers to contact you and offer you a download product of your choice for free so you can see it is a good alternative. They only thing I ask is that you let us know afterward how your experience was.

Deal?

• Upvote 1

After your and Shaun's statement, I believe more in your company. Please don't blame me, but in the whole Internet are always a little, I call those people "fakers" which earn money in doing nothing, or giving anything back! (That passed one time to me and now I know: NEVER TRUST ANYONE IN THE INTERNET!)

I will look then tomorrow and see what we can do!

Mathijs, only one question: Where is the clamp?

greets

Kevin

• Aerosoft

After your and Shaun's statement, I believe more in your company. Please don't blame me, but in the whole Internet are always a little, I call those people "fakers" which earn money in doing nothing, or giving anything back! (That passed one time to me and now I know: NEVER TRUST ANYONE IN THE INTERNET!)

I will look then tomorrow and see what we can do!

Mathijs, only one question: Where is the clamp?

greets

Kevin

The clamp?

But again, I understand your ideas, the internet is a tricky place to shop. But if there is a extensive forum system, the company has a address and telephone number on the site I don't think the risks are very high. Aerosoft simply can not afford serious problems, it would ruin our reputation and that is by far the most commercial important asset we got.

These kind of naive complaints always make me smile.

Do they not teach economics, commerce and the realities of business to our kids in schools these days..?

The same kids who defy rules to use their texting, twittering, blogging and mobiling devices to complain endlessly to virtual friends most of whom they've never met about things they've never experienced in a world about which they know absolutely nothing except what they learned on the interweb, rather than pay attention in class and, god forbid, actually learn something..?

Kevin, it appears the irony of your complaint is lost on you. You came here, to a virtual forum, where people feign all sorts of things (not the least of which is concern and compassion) when in fact the problem is that you simply do not grasp the mundanities of business life but choose to moan about the absence of substance in a faux environment where, to be quite frank, no-one actually cares...

What you need to understand is that flight sim is a tiny market, populated by tiny companies living out virtual lives as BIG business, when in fact many don't even OWN a kitchen table, much less trade from it.

For those developers publishers like Aerosoft ARE the business outlet.

Do you even KNOW what shelfspace in a busy high-volume trading environment COSTS these days..? Rhetorical question Kevin, as the answer is blatantly `no`, so you should go find out.

....and if you think this reply is in any way short or blunt trust me when I say the responses you'll get from retailers, vendors and large multiple-outlet corporations will scare you senseless. It makes Nigerians seems like fair and honest traders...

Welcome to the real virtual world. ;)

Do they not teach economics, commerce and the realities of business to our kids in schools these days..?

It makes Nigerians seems like fair and honest traders...

Welcome to the real virtual world. ;)

Snave;

Blunt,,,,for sure

Honest ,,absolutely

Fair,,,,,ahh

To the point,,,yup

I can appreciate your point Snave ;) obviously no mincing words here :lol:

Randy

I don't think I have EVER seen a flight sim addon in a store here in the States. And even though I am older than average (didn't get my first computer until graduate school and the world wide web was still several years down the road), I LOVE being able to shop on the internet. Driving to a store stinks, items out of stock stinks, etc.

Focusing on books and software, it is certainly nice to be able to hold something in your hand, look at the cover or box, and so on, but if I had to choose between a world with no "real" bookstores and computer shops or no online bookstores and computer shops, I would get rid of the brick and mortar versions in a heartbeat. The convenience of reading about a new addon the day it is released, then buying it, downloading it, installing it, and flying it in mere minutes quite frankly borders on the miraculous.

As for safety and security, I have spent many thousands of dollars online over the last decade and can't recall any particularly trouble. I certainly haven't had more difficulty in the virtual world than in the real world (which is far from free of danger). As long as you ignore unsolicited spam and direct your trade to well established companies, I think it is about as safe as the universe allows.

Best, DAB

In my opinion it's more about fear than naivete. Humans instinctively fear what they do not understand, a trait which has generally served us well ever since our ape ancestors came across that pesky black monolith partly buried in the sand all those aeons ago.

• Aerosoft

I don't think I have EVER seen a flight sim addon in a store here in the States. And even though I am older than average (didn't get my first computer until graduate school and the world wide web was still several years down the road), I LOVE being able to shop on the internet. Driving to a store stinks, items out of stock stinks, etc.

Best, DAB

I have had US friends around who stood nailed to the ground when saw 40+ FS addons in the Mediamarket (huge retail chain in Europe).

But soon you will see some of our addons in BestBuy, we are rather proud of that.

Hello Kevin,

I just read about your misfortune of FS addon's but I want you to know that Mathjis and his company would never steer you wrong i have bought many thing's from there store all 5 stars and the order process is so painless trust me.

Once you see how was it is to order from them you will say way did i ever wait so long to order from them. :)

I hope you decide to order from Mathjis you just cant go wrong and you would get quality service from Aerosoft.

Richard

I have had US friends around who stood nailed to the ground when saw 40+ FS addons in the Mediamarket (huge retail chain in Europe).

But soon you will see some of our addons in BestBuy, we are rather proud of that.

Aerosoft in BestBuy -- very nice. BB is about all that is left around me in Michigan for computer games, etc. It will be nice to be able to hold an Aerosoft product in my hand--so far everything I own is just a string of 0s and 1s on my HDD. But the download process has never caused a problem, so I'll probably still go that route 90+% of the time. The key advantage for Aerosoft, I assume, is reaching a whole new market of people who might already own FS, but don't even know addons are available.

When can we expect to see them Mathijs?

Cheers, DAB

I walked into a certain store once, to be confronted by a seemingly epidemic range of sub-standard addons from a certain developer. I didn't buy from them. Even though they were a shop and had product on the shelf. Right next to FS.

I simply wasn't that stupid or gullible as to think that bricks and mortar imply stability.

Have you seen the size of the (ex) Lehman Brothers building...? ;)

hi! first time on the forum but have roamed the site for 2-3 years and have bought a couple of titles for fs9. i actually work for best buy in tulsa and i was looking thru our new sku list for pc games and saw 4-5 titles for either fs9 or fsx. well one is actually subway sim. our system showed a delivery of 9/22 but our website has 9/29 but could be in any day between. just think it is great that we can obtain a few titles at a great price. store i work at is about a mile away from possibly in the top 10 busiest general aviation airports in america. now! if aerosoft would just make oklahoma or city of tulsa scenery, being that the scenery might be boring!

Mathijs that is indeed a huge deal you will find bestbuy all over the u.s I really hope it does well, and it also lets some people that dont really go online enjoy your products its always nice to have the box, dvd, and manuals in print.