Shimmering and moving texture's

keflin2612

Hi all,

I have just built a new computer and have finally finished re-loading fs9 on windows xp 64 and for the first time ever I am actually running fs9 totally maxed out and still with good frame rates the only problem I have is when I'm on the ground at any airport the texture's in the distance seem to shimmer and the white line's on the runway and taxi way's seem to move I have had it before on my old system but not as bad as this. Anybody got any idea's as to what is causing it and how to stop it or at least reduce it.

Thanks and kind regards Kevin

Hi all,

I have just built a new computer and have finally finished re-loading fs9 on windows xp 64 and for the first time ever I am actually running fs9 totally maxed out and still with good frame rates the only problem I have is when I'm on the ground at any airport the texture's in the distance seem to shimmer and the white line's on the runway and taxi way's seem to move I have had it before on my old system but not as bad as this. Anybody got any idea's as to what is causing it and how to stop it or at least reduce it.

Thanks and kind regards Kevin

Apply appropriate levels of Anti-aliasing and Anisotropic filtering through the graphic card options. As you don't give even the slightest clue as to your rig setup apart from that terrible choice of Windows XP64 it's impossible to be more specific...

In addition to Snave's suggestions, you should look into your graphic card's control panel and "enable" or set Negative LOD Bias to: Clamp.

Here is further explanation:

The so called Level of Detail BIAS(LOD BIAS) controls which at which distance from the viewer the switch to lower resolution mip maps takes place (see here for more details about mip maps). The standard value of the LOD BIAS is 0.0 (zero). If you lower the LOD BIAS below zero, the mip map levels are moved farther away, resulting in seemingly sharper textures. But if the scene is moving, the textures start to shimmer.

Because of this, it's not a good idea to use a lower LOD BIAS to improve the sharpness of the image. It's better to use an Anisotropic Filter instead.

Some games force a negative LOD BIAS nevertheless. The result is heavy texture shimmering. To avoid this, the driver can clamp the LOD BIAS to zero. That means that the LOD BIAS can still be raised above zero, but it cannot set lower than zero.

Thanks Snave for your answer I will give it a try But can you tell me what is wrong with windows xp 64 bit.

Don't let Simon scare you. And don't let his lack of constructive advice fool you either. He really does care. Oh, and no, there isn't someone standing behind him with a gun to his head forcing him to post. ;)

XP64bit is used by a significant number of very knowledgeable simmers to this day. Yes, it has taken a lot of slack for poor driver support in the past but other than that it's not like it is any better or worse with FS than Vista 64bit is. Not sure how many XP64bit users will be left in 12 months time though. I suspect not many.

With an Nvidia card what you should really be doing is using nHancer to control AA and AF.

• Aerosoft

Don't let Simon scare you. And don't let his lack of constructive advice fool you either. He really does care. Oh, and no, there isn't someone standing behind him with a gun to his head forcing him to post. ;)

XP64bit is used by a significant number of very knowledgeable simmers to this day. Yes, it has taken a lot of slack for poor driver support in the past but other than that it's not like it is any better or worse with FS than Vista 64bit is. Not sure how many XP64bit users will be left in 12 months time though. I suspect not many.

With an Nvidia card what you should really be doing is using nHancer to control AA and AF.

I did not know how fast I could delete XP64 bits from one of my systems. The only advantage it could have was the fact it could use more memory but with the application I used I NEVER saw it use more then 2,8 Gb. Now Vista and Windows7 in 64 bits will slowly start to use all available memory for prefetching, chaching etc. That's why people think Vista and W7 use so much memory. They forget that memory not used is memory that could just as well not be there. For Windows 7 I advise 64 bits for sure. Drop in 6 Gb and a core i7 and you're good to go for another year.

I just did not want the OP to think that he should now go out and buy Vista64bit due to " issues" with XP64bit. And by all means upgrade to W7 64bit when it comes out.

Apply appropriate levels of Anti-aliasing and Anisotropic filtering through the graphic card options. As you don't give even the slightest clue as to your rig setup apart from that terrible choice of Windows XP64 it's impossible to be more specific...

Sorry Snave it was very rude & stupid of me not to put my rig specs down.

They are as follows,

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Motherboard.

Intel core i7 920 D0 Stepping CPU

Corsair 6gb (3x2gb) 2,000MHz Memory

2x Western Digital Velociraptor 150GB 10,000rpm Hard Drive

Asus ENGTX285 Graphics card

CoolerMaster Real Power 1250w Power Supply

I have played around with the graphics card settings a little and gained a slight improvement but not perfect and just wondered if it was possible to get rid of shimmers altogether.

Any setting suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Kevin.