Sperry Autopilot

VulcanB2

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the autopilot to work properly.

I set up the gyro compass to my current heading, etc.. and engage it. I tweak the gain until it is flying on course. I've read in the manual that it can drift over time, but when I check the gyro compass heading vs. the magnetic compass - they seem to correlate?? Do I need to enable gyro drift in FS?

Why is it that eventually the actual heading I'm flying is not the selected heading? Note that it isn't a case of the gyro drifting and the aircraft keeping up - the heading gyro reads as far out as the magnetic compass does (I'd expect the gyro heading to be correct whilst the magnetic heading is not). :huh: Do I also need to compensate for magnetic varience as I fly? My gut feeling is that I should.

I'm also unable to find the heading gyro cage function. Is this modelled?

Best regards,

Robin.

Hi Robin

For gyrodrift to ocur, You should enable gyrodrift in FSX.

Just mind that gyrodrift in FSX is exaggerated to the point where proper navigation becomes impossible (my personal finding).

The gyro compass is normally aligned by reference to the magnetic heading. This means that gyro heading will be magnetic heading, Though You need to compensate for magnetic compass deviation (See the small card near the magnetic compass).

Gyro cage for the heading gyro is not implementet. Look on page 13 in the manual and You will see the various knobs and buttons for the Sperry.

Finn

If you want to now or calculate your drift (apprx) use this formula.

15 x sin mean latitude (15 degrees/hour is the maximum drift at the north/south pole)

regards

mikael

:lol:

I see how to operate the Sperry, but it was the way it would fly off course quite quickly (and clearly not due to drift, if this isn't modelled outside of FS) that caught my attention.

I agreee that the drift effect is exaggerated by MS to a large degree.

Best regards,

Robin.

Remember:

Elev: Is for pitch hold (not altitude hold)

AIL: Is for wings level (not heading hold)

RUD: Is for heading hold, but only works if You are within ±10° of wanted heading to fly.

Gain knobs: The higher setting, the fast and more accurate response, but also tend to oscillate.

Ensure that the Auto pilot master is On (Lever mounted near the mixture levers)

Finn