SION multiplayer

B21

Dirk and I flew for an hour out of Sion, Switzerland for an hour or so last night - the software worked like a charm. We had the wind from the N at 12 knots so the flight East up the valley was easy although it does turn a bit North towards the end. I had the season set to 'winter' which was good for authenticity but bad for any testing of thermals - the only ones we found were FSX default. CumulusX!+sim_probe was completely stable for both of us.

Having the server in 'Adventures' beginning with 'SOAR' was a great trick - I was able to spot Dirk on Gamespy very easily and even though his server was just up for testing and firewalled off, I was able to host a server which he saw almost immediately and we hooked up.

That was my first multi-play glider session, and it's quite remarkable when you see it working... I have TrackIR and I didn't know it when I got it but it is multi-play where it's most useful as you look around for the other aircraft.

Ian

I have TrackIR and I didn't know it when I got it but it is multi-play where it's most useful as you look around for the other aircraft.

I have FreeTrack, and it works apparently as it should at a penalty of 10% less FPS. Nevertheless, I get pretty soon uptight, because my FPS is not high enough to get a clear image unless you keep your head very still.

Therefor I have put the Pan Heading Axis to the Twist Handle of my joystick, which works very decent, even with only one panning axis.

regards,

Peter

Peter, I remember at the beginning there was a big learning curve for setting up FreeTrack, but I have found the attached setup runs pretty good for me. And also, at the moment I cannot remember your computer spec's and the FPS that you like to run, so this setup may not run well for you but I thought I'd try if it could help. Another thing too, I do not recall if the saved settings saves all the camera settings as well, so you may need to change them back to what you have now if it does.

Scott (sf4JC)

post-17573-1213606362_thumb.jpg

With TrackIR there are settable profiles controlling the gain and dead band for each axis. For FSX I disable the X,Y and Z translation (i.e. only turning my head affects the view - sliding my head forward/back, up/down or left/right doesn't) and I have the pitch and turn axes set with a noticeable dead band so the view stays centred with the normal small head movements. It is the *roll* axis I find the most useful, because it is completely natural to keep the eyes level with the horizon when you bank, and I don't even notice TrackIR keeping the horizon mostly level.

Ian