Twin Otter 1.11 Autopilot is gone...

guenseli

Hello,

I've purchased the Twin Otter a few days after release, so it was a long time ago.

I've reinstalled FSX several times since now and haven't installed the TWin Otter with Update 1.11 since then.

Today I wanted to fly this bird, but now I couldn't find any autopilot???!!!

The place in the VC is empty, even the Shift+3 panel!

What could happen there?

Or could it be an damaged or wrong Updatefile? I've downloaded the Update several month ago....

I have Vista 64 and installed as Admin and Virusscan OFF.

Of course I have reinstalled the TWotter, too

Any Ideas?

I'd uninstall, and reinstall the original plane, then the version 1.11 (or whatever the updated version is). Files are spread all over your hard drive and a lot of times get lost in a complete overhaul. Just try reinstalling and see if it fixes it.

Today I wanted to fly this bird, but now I couldn't find any autopilot???!!!...

I have the same problem. There's just a grey box over where the autopilot was

before? It's on the co-pilots side.

At least I think there was an autopilot there, I could be mistaken?

I have the boxed version.

There's got to be a fix other than re-installing it.

Right. The original plane didn't have the regular gps or autopilot features. They were added with the update, which he claimed he already downloaded. If you haven't downloaded the update, download that and install it, then see if it fixes. I just did a clean install of FSX and reinstalled my planes, and had the exact problem, but when I installed the update, it fixed. Hopefully that will help you.

I think Version 1.11 IS ALREADY an update?

What kind of Update do you mean?

The 1.11 is an full installer update, I'm right?

Where can I can the Update YOU have which managed the isse?

I just have just the 1.11 Version at my HDD, because its a full installation they said....

Does Aerosoft know about this issue? Any comments from their side?

I think Version 1.11 IS ALREADY an update?

What kind of Update do you mean?

The 1.11 is an full installer update, I'm right?

Where can I can the Update YOU have which managed the isse?

I just have just the 1.11 Version at my HDD, because its a full installation they said....

Does Aerosoft know about this issue? Any comments from their side?

Yes, that's the one. There is only one update that I know of, which is 1.11, and yes it's a full install, well actually you just get the new texture folders to replace I believe. But, yes thats the one I'm talking about. There is the original download (which is the one I had issues with the autopilot) and the update version 1.11 (which is what I installed and it fixed my issue.) Didn't mean to confuse you.

I've downloaded the original file. I'll try it later!

Aerosoft writes with the update:

!! DELETE THE PREVIOUS VERSIONS BEFORE INSTALLING THIS ONE !!

Have you done this?

Why the hell isn't there a fix for this problem?

Or I'm the first who have reported this?

The AP is the one from the default Maule in FSX, so if that one is not installed (or moved) you will not see the AP.

Aaaaahhhh, very good to know!

Yes, I've uninstalled the Maule!!!

But of course backuped the bird!

Please can you tell me which Folder/File I have to move to where??

Would be very nice!

I know Aerosoft is worth the titel "best support" ;-)

You need to replace the Maule and all its folders in the SIMOBJECTS/AIRCRAFT folder, any gauges you may have removed from the GAUGES folder.

Never, ever remove the default aircraft, ESPECIALLY not in FSX.

In FS9 you had the luxury of being able to extract the relevant files from the installation CD's, but FSX uses a proprietary installer and you would have to carry out a full repair installation or reinstall to put these back, which will also overwrite any other changes you may have made to default files and folders. So many addons use the default folders, files and gauges it is always very risky removing them. You save nothing in FS installation time, as the absence of the defaults is likely to cause a delay in startup, something which can be seen as `load fails` in Process Manager.

You need to replace the Maule and all its folders in the SIMOBJECTS/AIRCRAFT folder, any gauges you may have removed from the GAUGES folder.

In FS9 you had the luxury of being able to extract the relevant files from the installation CD's, but FSX uses a proprietary installer and you would have to carry out a full repair installation or reinstall to put these back, which will also overwrite any other changes you may have made to default files and folders. So many addons use the default folders, files and gauges it is always very risky removing them. You save nothing in FS installation time, as the absence of the defaults is likely to cause a delay in startup, something which can be seen as `load fails` in Process Manager.

Thank you.

Replaced the mooney completely and everything works now.

I haven't had any problems till now with uninstalled FSX defaults.

The Otter is the first one.

I've had all the default FSX aircraft moved into a folder named "Unused Default Aircraft" since day one when FSX came out,

without any problems? The only exception is the C-172, because some add-on aircraft require a default aircraft be

loaded first.

I've even cleaned up the Aerosoft F-16 so that only the variations that I want to fly are shown.

All the rest are in a folder named, "Unused F-16 Variations". Of course I had to rearrange the Panel

and Sound folders for the variations that had them aliased to other variations.

If I want a certain variation I just move it back and go fly.

I did that to simplify the "Select an Aircraft" screen.

I've done it with all my add-on aircraft. No Problems.

Whenever I get the urge to fly an "Unused" aircraft, I just drag and drop it back into the Simobjects/Aircraft folder

and fly away.

I never had any problems whatsoever in the almost two years that FSX has been out.

My FSX starts in under a minute and has never failed.

Well, the Otter's missing AP was the first problem.

So, I moved the Maule back and fixed it.

If you put the default aircraft back in their entirety, FSX would probably still start in the same time.

As you can't be sure what aftermarket aircraft make alias calls upon default files (sounds and gauges being the commonest) the best step would be to leave at least one variant of the defaults in the default folder, and just remove the extra colourschemes to the `hangar`... of course if you haven't moved any of the default gauges then you lessen the chances of this being a problem.