Few Questions About The Twin Otter And Cheyenne

LMP

Hi all,

I have been looking for a nice twin turboprop addon for FSX. So far I narrowed my search down to the Twin Otter and Cheyenne and since they're both sold by Aerosoft, I figured I'd ask here ;).

First of all, frame rates. Those are really important to me, as running FSX is already a little too much for my computer. I know the Twotter was made to be FPS friendly and the Cheyenne, because of more detailed systems modeling (right?), can never be that good at it... but how big is the impact really? I've never had a payware addon before and the freewares I used were all very simple, light airplanes, so I simply don't know if a Cheyenne class model can make the game unplayable to me.

Should I risk it or stay with the Twotter?

Secondly, is the Cheyenne fully FSX compatible, and by fully compatible I mean XP/Vista SP2 DX9/DX10 compatible without any texture trouble and such?

Thirdly, there's a manual for the Twin Otter available on the site and does a good job explaining the operation of the systems etc. But there are no power settings, V speeds, performance data in it... Do they come with the model or is that all I get?

And lastly. Can I assign the condition levers to joystick axes in both aircraft?

Thanks,

LMP

Hi all,

I have been looking for a nice twin turboprop addon for FSX. So far I narrowed my search down to the Twin Otter and Cheyenne and since they're both sold by Aerosoft, I figured I'd ask here ;) .

First of all, frame rates. Those are really important to me, as running FSX is already a little too much for my computer. I know the Twotter was made to be FPS friendly and the Cheyenne, because of more detailed systems modeling (right?), can never be that good at it... but how big is the impact really? I've never had a payware addon before and the freewares I used were all very simple, light airplanes, so I simply don't know if a Cheyenne class model can make the game unplayable to me.

Should I risk it or stay with the Twotter?

Secondly, is the Cheyenne fully FSX compatible, and by fully compatible I mean XP/Vista SP2 DX9/DX10 compatible without any texture trouble and such?

Thirdly, there's a manual for the Twin Otter available on the site and does a good job explaining the operation of the systems etc. But there are no power settings, V speeds, performance data in it... Do they come with the model or is that all I get?

And lastly. Can I assign the condition levers to joystick axes in both aircraft?

Thanks,

LMP

Framerates: I own both planes. Twin Otter is lighter on frame rates in the VC. The Cheyenne causes a frame rate drop, but on my (fast) system it's not too bad.

Both planes are fully FSX compatible (I don't know about DX10, I don't use it since I haven't found a reason to use it yet *g*)

About the manual and the levers - I can't help, sorry.

Hi LMP

The Twotter is extreme FPS friendly. You will probably experience FPS as god as in the default aircraft and maybe even better.

The Cheyenne is harder on FPS and requires a fast system to run fluid, at least in areas with dense buildings and autogen.

I don´t think the Cheyenne is fully DX10 compatible, but works great under FSX SP2 DX9.

Systems are simulated to a higher degree in the Cheyenne compared to the Twin Otter.

Power levers and propeller levers can be assigned to joystick axes on both.

Fuel condition levers can´t be assigned on the Cheyenne, but can be assigned on the Twin Otter.

But for both aircraft the fuel condition levers are On / Off only.

On the Twin Otter if You move a analog joystick axis, it will only turn fuel On or Off.

On one of the Cheyenne models (I don´t remember wich) there is 3 positions: Off - Low Idle - High idle.

Fuel condition lever settings in the Cheyenne are done by mouse drag or click.

Personally I find the Twin Otter more fun, cause there are more diversity in that package.

You get a wheeled, Ski and float version. There is also two different cockpit versions.

One with old style radios and one with modern radios and a GPS thats very capable, once You have learned to use it.

The Cheyenne has a very complex Trimble 2000 GPS that will keep You occupied for a very long time, but still have some bugs that will be fixed in a upcomming patch ;)

Finn

I don't own the cheynne, but personally I have to say twin otter is probably the best aircraft i have ever flown and definitely the best add-on I have ever bought ;) Hughes comes close but the model variations makes twotter better

• Aerosoft
I don't own the cheynne, but personally I have to say twin otter is probably the best aircraft i have ever flown and definitely the best add-on I have ever bought ;) Hughes comes close but the model variations makes twotter better

They are really different aircraft. The Cheyenne is cool, sleek and sophisticated and has complex systems. The Twin Otter is ugly, rugged and has solid simple systems (though the GPS is complex). If you keep that in mind I am sure one or the other will appeal more to you.

I own both, the Twotter is easier on frame rates and systems operation is a little simpler (or maybe it's just more forgiving of my skill level, LOL). The fun factor is way up with the Twotter because you can fly anywhere and put it down in some of the most improbable locations for a plane it's size. Off road pickup truck versus luxury sedan. It depends on what your mood is.

• Aerosoft
I own both, the Twotter is easier on frame rates and systems operation is a little simpler (or maybe it's just more forgiving of my skill level, LOL). The fun factor is way up with the Twotter because you can fly anywhere and put it down in some of the most improbable locations for a plane it's size. Off road pickup truck versus luxury sedan. It depends on what your mood is.

Exactly, I don't really understand why a customer is considering between these two. Choosing between the Twin Otter and the DHC2 Beaver I can understand. But the Cheyenne is very different. Not less good, not at all, but very different.

Exactly, I don't really understand why a customer is considering between these two. Choosing between the Twin Otter and the DHC2 Beaver I can understand. But the Cheyenne is very different. Not less good, not at all, but very different.

I know how different these aircraft are, but both appeal to me. I simply would be using the Cheyenne for different sort of flying than the Twotter if I bought it - and that's why I didn't ask you to compare the AIRPLANES but the ADDONS. As you said, it wouldn't make much sense. After reading your replies (thanks guys!) I decided to get the Twotter first, but I'll want a more complex, high performance commuter or business twin sometime in the future. Hell, the third aircraft I was considering at first was Flight1's ATR-72 - so a completely different aircraft than either the DHC-6 or Cheyenne - but it has compatibility issues with FSX. I'm sort of glad you haven't yet released the Catalina, cause it would have probably ended on that list as well ;).

Anyways, thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it,

LMP

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say my Twotter arrived a couple of days and it's officially my favourite FSX aircraft. Great work, Aerosoft, thanks :).

• 2 months later...

LMP,

Not sure if you are still monitoring this thread, but I found these documents helpful.

There's probably a lot more around - it is even possible to buy an electronic copy of the flight manual relatively cheaply from Rare Aviation, but I think the material above will be enough for me!

Cheers,

Nick.

You will love the cheyenne, works quiet well as a turboprop within the limits of fsx and is my favourite plane. I have the twotter and use it on those days when i want to fly a short easy flight. Cheyenne bit more qwerky but well worth the effort. It has a GPS patch on the way although most issues fixed in last patch . You need to think ahead of this plane but a joy to fly. 230 kts at 24000 ft not bad. Need to watch the ITT temps but relly thats abt it.

• Aerosoft
You will love the cheyenne, works quiet well as a turboprop within the limits of fsx and is my favourite plane. I have the twotter and use it on those days when i want to fly a short easy flight. Cheyenne bit more qwerky but well worth the effort. It has a GPS patch on the way although most issues fixed in last patch . You need to think ahead of this plane but a joy to fly. 230 kts at 24000 ft not bad. Need to watch the ITT temps but relly thats abt it.

The F-16 is close to stall with 230 kts at 24000, it's all relative....