Using Back Course on the following departure:

Hello, I was wondering if anyone might have help on how to use the back course function on the CRJ. I recently flew Aspen's LINDZ departure (below) out of runway 33, making the 343° heading and then the left turn of 273° to try and intercept the back course localizer with course of 303°. 

Trying this several times with LOC1 mode on, my NAV1 set to 108.5, and with course setting of 303° on the MCP, I couldn't get the aircraft to intercept the localizer towards LINDZ fix. 

Would anyone be able to offer help with regards to the procedure for flying the back course in this situation? I couldn't find anything in the manual about it. Thanks. 

Please login to display this image.

PS. Alternatively, by using FMS1 navigation mode and selecting NAV on MCP after making the 273° turn, I found that the CRJ  would intercept the localizer itself, but I didn't know if this reflected real world procedure. 

I might be mistaken, as I have never flown into Aspen and it has been long, looooong ago since I flew any back course stuff. But this procedure would not need any use of the back course function on the CRJ. The back course button would be used to tell the autopilot to use reverse sensing basically. But since you are flying the localizer back course outbound, there is no reverse sensing involved. It should practically work as though you are following a normal localizer guiding you to LINDZ.

I suppose it should just work by being in green needle nav source, having the localizer frequency active with course 303 selected and then arming NAV mode. But I don't know how well this is implemented in the sim and/or addon.

• Like 1