Beta Descent - a Real World Question For Pilots

expire

Hello

I was watching a You Tube video describing a 'Beta Descent' on a Pilatus in Papa New Guinea (I think).  

It occurred to me that, purely by trial and error, I have been adopting something similar in my Twin Otter to shed altitude when flying to small airstrips in the Himalayas where there is not much room for approach maneuvering.  I would put the pitch to minimum (100%) and throttle back and I found that I could descend quickly without gaining too much speed.  Then as I approached the airstrip, I could increase the power and land successfully.  

So, can you real world pilots tell me, is what I am doing a 'recognized' method of descending in mountainous terrain?  Are all prop aircraft able to perform beta descent (or similar)?   

I look forward to some 'real word' perspectives.

All the best

Mike

• Aerosoft

There are many ways to loose speed and altitude and what you are doing is fully acceptable. As long as you keep your engine parameters in the green anything you do will work.  In the conditions you describe the most important thing is to keep potential energy in the aircraft. Energy is in RPM, altitude or speed. You need to two of those to be high to stay safe. If you are slow, low and at low RPM you have problems.  In my personal experience most simmers are low on energy when they land. Very shallow approach angles, very close to stall and engines about to starve. Even though they got a mile of runway to go. 

Personally I love to approach a bit fast and sideslip to slow down. 

A few years ago I was in London with some American naval pilots. They decided I had pay for beers. The main discussion turned out to be about the way to land. The Harrier pilots called the Hornet pilots crazy. They preferred to stop and land and not land and try to stop. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lol!  Many thanks Mr Kok.  What a comprehensive explanation.

I am guilty of all the faults that you list - I wondered why I kept falling out of the sky at at EGHE (St Mary's).

All the best

Mike

• Aerosoft
30 minutes ago, expire said:

Lol!  Many thanks Mr Kok.  What a comprehensive explanation.

I am guilty of all the faults that you list - I wondered why I kept falling out of the sky at at EGHE (St Mary's)

That's why flight simming is a hobby were you keep on learning.

But if you want to see it done:

That is 100% in control, the engine parameters stay green . But most operators would not like it being done with their aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...