When I try to lower the altitude using the autopilot, the Twin Otter will nose down extremely, going to -4 or beyond that, on the VSI

Hi.  I am using the Twin Otter from the MSFS marketplace. So when I try to lower the altitude on the Twin Otter via the autopilot, the Twin Otter will nose down extremely, sometimes reaching -4 on the VSI, or even beyond -4 on the VSI.

The key thing I noticed is that the autopilot is on the entire time, when I try to lower the altitude. So here is what you can do to recreate this issue:

1. Takeoff from an airport.
  2. “SET ALTITUDE” is set to 4000, the autopilot is set to on, and I have pushed the up arrow Vertical Speed button to raise the vertical speed to +500 feet per minute so I can reach 4000 feet faster.
  3. The Twin Otter will reach the altitude of 4000 feet and stay there. I have not touched anything else in the mean time.
  4. Now I am getting close to my destination. So I turn the blue altitude knob on the “SET ALTITUDE” to 1500 feet.
  5. When I click the up arrow Vertical Speed button this time, the Twin Otter will nose down severely, jumping to as much -4 on the VSI, or even beyond -4 on the VSI.

The only thing that seems to prevent this is to turn off the autopilot, and turn it back on again. If I do this, the Twin Otter won’t nose down that severely (ie. it won’t go to -4, or -5 on the VSI), and the nose down is much more normal. This issue with the Twin Otter seems like some weird issue when I try to lower the altitude while keeping the autopilot on. This behavior for the Twin Otter is very different than how the G1000 autopilot works for the Cessna 172, I can keep the autopilot on at all times, when I want to lower the altitude of the Cessna 172 G1000, and the Cessna 172 G1000 will get to the lower altitude with a much more milder nose down and much more milder negative vertical speed (there is no need for me to turn the autopilot off and turn it on again, for the Cessna 172 G1000 when I want to go to a lower altitude).

Why does the Twin Otter nose down that severely, reaching -4 on the VSI, when I try to lower the altitude using the autopilot? Do I need to turn the autopilot off and on again, to properly lower the altitude with the Twin Otter without the VSI hitting -4? Is this how it works in real life too?

• Deputy Sheriffs

If you need support, please do not post in  a section which marked as "General discussion (no support)". Please choose the appropriate section in the Twotter forum.