AP not following commands.

I was just flying the CRJ all was well until initial climb when the autopilot would not hold my desired airspeed. I set it to CLB250 and it went well above it, not pitching up to maintain. I then disconnected it and hand flew it up to cruise. When I try to engage the autopilot, it sent me into a nosedive.
What's weird is that the flight director showed the correct path until AP was engaged. Then everything went wrong, including the FD. Anyone seen this before?

17 hours ago, Jonah Simmons said:

I was just flying the CRJ all was well until initial climb when the autopilot would not hold my desired airspeed. I set it to CLB250 and it went well above it, not pitching up to maintain. I then disconnected it and hand flew it up to cruise. When I try to engage the autopilot, it sent me into a nosedive.
What's weird is that the flight director showed the correct path until AP was engaged. Then everything went wrong, including the FD. Anyone seen this before?

are you only interacting in the cockpit with the AP controls or are you trying to use external hardware controls?

External controls, so yea maybe that was it. I've since completed a flight in the CRJ9 that went perfectly so I guess it was my mistake last night. I can't imagine me doing anything that wrong to get that weird of an effect. 

Cheers. 

6 hours ago, Jonah Simmons said:

External controls, so yea maybe that was it. I've since completed a flight in the CRJ9 that went perfectly so I guess it was my mistake last night. I can't imagine me doing anything that wrong to get that weird of an effect. 

Cheers. 

The CRJ requires using external hardware controller software to be able to send the L:Var commands ...  so if you use default plane commands that can get the AP system messed up under the hood..

55 minutes ago, LesOReilly said:

The CRJ requires using external hardware controller software to be able to send the L:Var commands ...  so if you use default plane commands that can get the AP system messed up under the hood..

Yes sir I use the program SPAD.next for this reason. 

I think the issue I was having was pilot error, because I've since done 2 flawless flights in the aircraft. 

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my topic.

Cheers

I also encountered an AP problem today: I could not switch it on. YD active, stab trim activated, I was trimmed out, altitude set, course set - all normal, like always.  Reaching 1.000 ft after take-off I wanted to activate the AP, but no luck. Nothing happened. I tried several times during the flight, but again, nothing. So I hand flew the plane and landed after an hour (good experience in the end, but very high work load - not your typical relaxing after work flight….)

Yesterday (after sim hotfix) I flew the CRJ without any problems, today this. Go figgure!

Any ideas what I did wrong?

8 hours ago, StanTGM said:

I also encountered an AP problem today: I could not switch it on. YD active, stab trim activated, I was trimmed out, altitude set, course set - all normal, like always.  Reaching 1.000 ft after take-off I wanted to activate the AP, but no luck. Nothing happened. I tried several times during the flight, but again, nothing. So I hand flew the plane and landed after an hour (good experience in the end, but very high work load - not your typical relaxing after work flight….)

Yesterday (after sim hotfix) I flew the CRJ without any problems, today this. Go figgure!

Any ideas what I did wrong?

It is very easy to accidentally move the AP Disengage Bar that is below the AP ENG button ... also that bar does not move that FAR so it is possible that you had that Bar "down" and thus the AP won't engage.

The disengage bar was definitively up. I even toggled it to see if that would bring the AP online - to no avail.

Funny thing: this morning, I tried another flight, and the CRJ (and in particular the AP) worked flawlessly again!

This beloved sim of ours seems to have a life of it‘s own…

On 1/8/2022 at 4:30 AM, StanTGM said:

The disengage bar was definitively up. I even toggled it to see if that would bring the AP online - to no avail.

Funny thing: this morning, I tried another flight, and the CRJ (and in particular the AP) worked flawlessly again!

This beloved sim of ours seems to have a life of it‘s own…

The other thing that I have seen happen with people in NON-CRJ planes is that they have a button bound in MSFS to AP Disengage which will under the hood block the AP from engaging in other planes...  So many simmers assigned that and not Autopilot off to a button on the Yoke and with that it becomes a toggle that is turning that simvar on and off...  So from flight to flight they get a weird behaviour...

Archived