Venice X corrupts my menu bar

macwino

When using Venice X I find that if I go to access the Menu bar when in Full Screen view (using the Alt key) the menu bar titles are either non-existent, horizontal lines, or thick, unreadable characters. Similarly, if I try and pull down one of the menus, I see the same thing as is appearing on the Menu Bar itself. Essentially blank space or gibberish. So the Menu Bar is unusable. However, if I shift to Windowed Mode, I get my Menu Bar back. Also, if I disable the Venice X scenery, then I get my Menu Bar back. So the problem seems to be with the Venice X scenery when in Full Screen mode. I've tried it with different planes and the plane seems to make no difference.

I'm running FSX SP2 Acceleration and Windows XP SP2. I use an nVidia 8800 GT.

I checked the files that were reported to be duplicative, and my SP2 file is active and the SP1 file is labelled "inactive" so this does not seem to be causing the problem. Any thoughts on what's happening here and how to fix it?

I should clarify that the Menu Bar generally appears normal when I first bring it up using the Alt key. But none of the pull down menus are readable as they are either blank or thick, blocky, unreadable text. After that first pull down, the Menu Bar itself is from that point forward either blank or blocky text - unless I switch to Windowed Mode. But when I go back to Full Screen, the unreadable Menu Bar and pull down menus return.

Thanks, Robert

Hello Robert,

I'm not seeing that here on mine now but I have seen it before. I read something that may help so could you please try it. Let me know if it worked please.

UNINSTALL all Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable from add/remove

programs. And install it again from MS FSX DVD 1 (vcredist_x86.exe).

Hi Shaun,

I tried what you recommended and it worked for one launch of FSX and a flight at Venice. I then tried relaunching FSX and setting up another flight at Venice and I had my unintelligible menus this time. So it's not a viable fix.

Any further thoughts?

Robert

Hello Robert,

I'm using 169.25 on Vista at the moment.

Can you try disabling the VeniceX scenery in the scenery library then restart FSX and then go to the airport there, LIPV and see if it still happens.

Hi Shaun,

My drivers are for XP and were released the day before yours - so I presume they are in sync with what you are presently using for Vista. So I don't think I'm behind the curve with my drivers, especially as there's nothing newer at the nVidia site.

I had previously disabled Venice X in the Scenery Library - as I reported in my original post, and the problem went away once the scenery was disabled. I had not tried it with an FSX reboot in between, but just did so and the problem is again gone once the default scenery for Venice is active. So I conclude that the problem would appear to be tied to how my machines interacts with the VeniceX scenery.

Please let me know if there's any other testing I can do for you.

Thanks, Robert

• Aerosoft
Hi Shaun,

My drivers are for XP and were released the day before yours - so I presume they are in sync with what you are presently using for Vista. So I don't think I'm behind the curve with my drivers, especially as there's nothing newer at the nVidia site.

I had previously disabled Venice X in the Scenery Library - as I reported in my original post, and the problem went away once the scenery was disabled. I had not tried it with an FSX reboot in between, but just did so and the problem is again gone once the default scenery for Venice is active. So I conclude that the problem would appear to be tied to how my machines interacts with the VeniceX scenery.

Please let me know if there's any other testing I can do for you.

Thanks, Robert

Strange issue this one, it got to be something on your system as the hardware drivers is like hundreds of customers would use. Did you do any tweaking to FSX?

I also noted that someone had this problem with a cracked X-Pack.

Makes you wonder if a certain default file in FSX has become corrupted.

I'm sorry, but i got some problems with the addon, and i believe it has something to do with pirate protection or something.

While playing, my textures changes to low, the aircraft texture changes also to low, all words in the menu bar are unreadable, they change into black stripes and stuff. Right click with the mouse shows a little menu, well guess what...same thing...

Maybe it is a protection or something for illigal versions of the addon, but in FSX without the addon, it works fine.

What happens if you un-install Acceleration and SP2 then try the sim then re-install Acceleration.

Shaun, unfortunately, there's no way I'm going to mess with my setup to the extent you have requested. I have many aircraft and scenery addons and all work just fine - except for Venice X. I am not about to risk having to do a complete reinstall of all my addons - which would take several days - just to see if removing and reinstalling Acceleration might fix this problem with Venice X. As Mathjis may recall, I've had problems running Venice X even before I ever installed Acceleration. So I don't see much likelihood in removing and reinstalling Venice X being a solution.

Thanks for your efforts to assist me.

Robert

Shaun, I understand that it's just Acceleration that you want me to uninstall and reinstall. But there's always a risk of messing up the entire installation when doing this, and I'm just not willing to run that risk for just one program that's not operating properly.

Thanks, Robert