TWOTTER - No Panel Lighting at Dawn and Dusk

GabethePilot

What is it with FSX and this bloody problem - it afflicts many addons and very few of you have sussed out how to fix it......backlit gauges would be a start !

There is a little panel lighting at dawn but backlighting is gone completely....why ?

you know I have only two complaints about the twin otter, one is that there is no glidescope (yet approach hold works) for the Nav1 directional indicator, and yes...NO PANEL LIGHTING at dusk and dawn, that one really irritates me. not the end of the world now, but really, something perhaps that should be addressed very soon, by the fine folks at a-soft. awesome airplane, but i noticed this immediately myself, when flying an IFR night flight, that the backlighting doesnt engage until almost pitch darkness...very unacceptable. but really, it's a miniscule issue compared to the amazingality of this aircraft.

So the main problem - we are all agreed - is that flying at night/dawn is a pain as suddenly the lighting goes out...or as dusk encroaches, no lighting until it's pitch dark !...........doesn't get more annoying really !

Yes....No.......don't get me wrong this a NICE plane - period.

The grumble I have - I have with many addons for FSX - is there seems to be this flaming problem with gauge lighting at dusk and dawn.

Some developers such as Realair...have sussed it out...most haven't and blame micrsoft !

This bird does suffer in this vein...at dawn and dusk....the panel lighting is barely adeequate and the gorgeous gauge-lighting that is present at night...disappears...so depending on which way the sun is shining, it can be difficult to read the panel...all of them !

See my grumble blog....!!!!!! for pictures - will be updated in next day.

http://gabethepilot.blogspot.com/

I own the LDS 767 for FSX and you are able to turn the cockpit/panel lights during the day/dusk/dawn via a switch.

Shouldn't the Twotter have a switch so you can turn the panel lights on or off as desired? At the moment the seem to come on automatically for you at night.

Hello GabethePilot,

Can you give me a date, time and location when this is happening in FSX as I have dawn showing in FSX and I can see the instruments quite clearly first started the flight when it was night time, location is between OL19 and 30ok Lobo Field on the 16th Feb time 06:58 local time. Sun hasn't quite peaked its head up over the horizon.

This is with the unofficial v1.01 patch installed.

(EDIT) The lights finally went out at 07:15 but the gauges seem readable without to much effort.

I'll have to test the Dusk to night transition next.

BTW: Does this also happen at the same time with the default FSX aircraft.

Well yes the panel may be "readable" at dawn...depending on your monior settings - contrast, gamma etc.

The point is...why does the lovely backlighting "go out" at a specific time. We should be able to switch this on or off at will.

Some addons work fine in this respect - others do not. Most blame MS for it but I don't accept this or everyone would have the same problem.

Why should MS dictate to me when I can have my gauges lit and when I can't.

In Springtime in the northern hemisphere...at 6am I have gauges lit...at 6.15...OFF...end of...only the panel lights to rely on...very disconcerting !

Same happens in reverse at night...no lights, then at a certain time...gauges lit...annoying to say the least.

Otherwise the TWOTTER is lovely...except for the flickery blob in the centre of the panel ("modern instrument block) so I'm forced to use the old instruments - no real hardship but a shame !

Is this issue on the "to do" list in the future patch?

By the way, I just read that this patch should be released by the end of this week.

Why such a hurry, you'd rather take your time and solve fully all the already mentionned bugs (and they seam to be quite a few, not specialy minors)

Anyway, this airplane is a pure joy to fly and land and it would be so nice to see all these anoying bugs quietly fixed.

The really interesting thing is that many folks have complained directly to Aces Studios about this very lighting problem in the DVC's. And yet, despite having had many years of feedback and requests nothing has been done to reduce the sharp contrast between light and dark on the DVC panels during dusk and dawn. It isn't nearly as bad in real life as the FS series portray it being. You really don't need some artificial panel lighting to light up the instruments except for true darkness.

Many designers have had to deal with this limitation. So I think we need to recognize that Aerosoft is handicapped by a limitation placed upon them. The only solution is to have a panel light switch that folks can toggle on whenever needed.

Cheers,

Ken

There are alot of examples of issues ignored by Microsoft.

Gyro drift exaggerated

Exaggerated mixture leaning requirement

Battery discharged too quickly

Lighting

No windsmoothing

Poor controller setup

Poor turboprop model

Poor helicopter model

Just to name a few issues that has been present through all FS versions and mentioned again and again.

But it seems that ACES (Microsoft) rather will spend their time on developing nice graphics (good for advertising) than fixing known propblems (good for better sim experience, but not a good selling point).

Thats my personal view, though I still find MS Flight Simulator a marvelous piece of software (otherwise I wouldn´t spend so much time on it :-) )

Wothan

Yep, I agree with every issue you just listed.

The thing that really makes you scratch your head is that most of them have been solved by deligent work by third-party folks who have offered Aces the fixes they sweated out.

Ken