Mesh/DEM: changes outside the Upgrade-Areas?

I posted a pretty harsh comment in the first post-release week about the primitive Mesh/DEM.

Well, the US-upgrade shows what is possible: LOD 18/1m in the NW-Mountains - allows incredible bush flying, invidual crevasses in glaciers are delineated, simply amazing.

Was not aware of any effects in the outside world however.

Surprise: I did set up the prototypical Nepal-VFR-flight (Lukla-Langtang-Manang-Jomsom) for a climber friend and was surprised:

unless memory failes me the Himalayas have improved quite a bit. Far off the US-level but it looks its not only a better DEM but also a more pointed, jagged appearance (new interpolation algos?). 

Immediately checked with my other Real-Life-Mountain-POIs and its clear something is going on:

- Kangchenjunga (IND) improved too

- K2 (PAK) is totally screwed up (giant sinkholes)

- Roraima-Table mountain (VEZ) giant pyramids on top

- Cerro Torre (ARG); still non-existent

- Canyon Sumidero (MEX): improved 

- Zambesi gorge (ZIM): changed somehow

- Norwegian fjords: lake mismatch improved

last not least, THE mountain:

- Matterhorn (CH) has mutated into a double-peak

Does Asobo make changes to their Core-DEM-database without telling in their upgrade notes? As it doesn't affect our install you can't blame them but it would be nice if somebody (Mathjis?) can spill some beans.

What you can do with the Matterhorn and a crude 20m mesh is visible here (just for looks as its apparently done in a non-effective way):

simMarket: TABURET - EU DEM PACK 2 - ALPS - CENTRAL MEDITERRANEAN AND EAST EU TERRAIN MSFS

happy 2021 everybody - and 6 MSFS updates!

MJ

• Herman locked this topic

Archived