Aerosoft official retail partner for Microsoft Flight Simulator !! 
Click here for more information

Jump to content
Puukka

Real world AP usage at takeoff/when changing altitude

Recommended Posts

Hello pilots

 

Sorry if that question appeared before, I wonder about the real world usage of the AP Mode switches.

 

Climb:

 

1.) After gear up I push SPEED

2.) At 400ft I select a Lateral Mode (HDG or NAV)

3.) At about 1500ft I reduce throttles to CLB Power

4.) When flaps up I select 250kts (or lower regarding SID)

 

Changing altitude:

 

1.) I select the new altitude

2.) I push ALT (ALTS CAP flashes)

3.) I push SPEED (CLB XXX or DES XXX appears)

4.) I increase/decrease thrust

 

Is this a correct way?

 

Thanks and regards,

Herbert 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Acceleration altitude is typically 1000ft AGL.

 

You shouldn't press ALT when initiating a change in altitude. Just select the new altitude and hit SPEED mode then increase power to climb thrust. Speed mode can be used in descent however vertical speed is most often used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah you don't need to press the ALT button. The only thing pressing the ALT button does is stop the climb completely what whatever altitude you're currently at. 

 

When you're in ALTS mode, and change the ALT selector to the new desired altitude, the FMA changes to ALT anyways which is all you achieve by pressing ALT. 

 

The only time I use DES mode on the flight line is a speed-restricted expedited descent, otherwise we tend fly VS mode copying the VS required on the MFD VNAV info or on the DIR INTC FMS page (or PATH for VNAV birds).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great and valuable infos, thanks a lot!

 

But still one issue:

I´m exactly on the selected altitude, PFD shows "ALT" and I´m maintaining constant speed.

If I now select a new altitude and push SPEED, only ALTS CAP starts to flash, but SPEED Mode keeps disengaged, till I push a second time SPEED.

The picture is taken at 7000ft, after selectig 5000ft and one push at the SPEED button, ALTS CAP is flashing, SPEED Mode still disengaged.

 

Thanks and kind regards,

Herbert

 

 

Issue.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed that in my build as well. It should be only a single push. Hopefully after the DEP/ARR FMS overhaul Hans can take a look

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just want to say I have been flying this plane non stop for the last Month or so. I am really enjoying it with my VA which uses this plane a lot. (American Eagle) I was curious about something. I use the V/S mode for descent. I use the DIR INTC on FMS to dial in the V/S speed. Sometimes I get 3.5 or 3.8. Is that ok in this plane? It just seems to steep. I control the speed ok but was just curious about that. Do I adjust on my own or keep as is? Still learning as I go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, JOHN3057 said:

Just want to say I have been flying this plane non stop for the last Month or so. I am really enjoying it with my VA which uses this plane a lot. (American Eagle) I was curious about something. I use the V/S mode for descent. I use the DIR INTC on FMS to dial in the V/S speed. Sometimes I get 3.5 or 3.8. Is that ok in this plane? It just seems to steep. I control the speed ok but was just curious about that. Do I adjust on my own or keep as is? Still learning as I go.

 

the DIR INTC page just shows you what's what, it's an awareness tool more than a planner. 

 

The RJ-900 in the real world is typically capable of 3.5deg  at idle for the most part. With a 50 knot headwind this can increase to 4.0deg path at idle, so you're right in the ballpark for what this plane usually does. I personally plan 3.5s with the real plane, unless it's a reasonably "busy" STAR, then i'll back it off to 3.0 just to make life easier with how most STARs are built, but at 3.0 you'll be flying a power-on descent.

 

As for 3500fpm or 3800fpm in a descent, that's a little steep. Generally the above slopes require 2800-3000FPM in the initial descent. 3200 would be considered aggressive for us, and that obviously decreases as the TAS decreases in the descent.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, A_Pilot said:

 

 

the DIR INTC page just shows you what's what, it's an awareness tool more than a planner. 

 

The RJ-900 in the real world is typically capable of 3.5deg  at idle for the most part. With a 50 knot headwind this can increase to 4.0deg path at idle, so you're right in the ballpark for what this plane usually does. I personally plan 3.5s with the real plane, unless it's a reasonably "busy" STAR, then i'll back it off to 3.0 just to make life easier with how most STARs are built, but at 3.0 you'll be flying a power-on descent.

 

As for 3500fpm or 3800fpm in a descent, that's a little steep. Generally the above slopes require 2800-3000FPM in the initial descent. 3200 would be considered aggressive for us, and that obviously decreases as the TAS decreases in the descent.

Awesome. I've learned a lot from reading your very informative posts in regards to this plane. I really am enjoying it. Thanks for all you do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, JOHN3057 said:

Awesome. I've learned a lot from reading your very informative posts in regards to this plane. I really am enjoying it. Thanks for all you do!

 

I really appreciate this :)

 

Becoming a training pilot on this plane was a dream come true for me, and I can't wait for travel levels to come back so I can get back to doing what I miss the most right now. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...