Jump to content

A330 Auto Step Climb issues.


Recommended Posts

Hello:

I attempted to use auto step climb but encountered several issues:

 

-When the aircraft step-climbed, the altitude in the MCDU and on the MCP did NOT change.  I started at FL360 with step FL400 (Red boxes).

 

-Because the ALT did not change in the MCDU, the TOD was not correctly calculated and I flew past it - airplane thought I was still at FL360.  See ND pic 1.

 

-Even though engaged, the autothrottle stopped working and I was overspeed. Airplane would not slow to MCDU cruise speed. (Orange box)

 

-When I manually changed ALT in MCDU and on MCP to FL400 and began my decent, airplane had loss of control (pic 2).  Had to turn off all autoflight systems, turn back on and fly airplane using V/S and speed...VNAV was useless.

Step Climb 1.jpg

Loss of control.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I haven't used the A330 sim yet, as I'm waiting for the P3DV5 update, so not sure of it's logic.

 

I am a real world A330 pilot though.

 

There is no 'Auto' step climb. Step climbs are a planning tool in the flightplan only (MCDU), approaching a planned step climb you request a clearance, then select the new ALT in the MCP window, and push the ALT knob (not the ALT hold button) if in managed modes (NAV), or pull if in selected mode (HDG).

 

The Cruise alt in the MCDU should now change to your new MCP cruise alt and the jet should climb.

 

Also at TOD, unlike Boeings, the aircraft will not descend of its own accord, you must select a new altitude, then either push the ALT knob for a managed descent, or pull for open descent.

 

I hope this helps,

 

Cheers,

Matt

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mattsimsA330 said:

Hi,

I haven't used the A330 sim yet, as I'm waiting for the P3DV5 update, so not sure of it's logic.

 

I am a real world A330 pilot though.

 

There is no 'Auto' step climb. Step climbs are a planning tool in the flightplan only (MCDU), approaching a planned step climb you request a clearance, then select the new ALT in the MCP window, and push the ALT knob (not the ALT hold button) if in managed modes (NAV), or pull if in selected mode (HDG).

 

The Cruise alt in the MCDU should now change to your new MCP cruise alt and the jet should climb.

 

Also at TOD, unlike Boeings, the aircraft will not descend of its own accord, you must select a new altitude, then either push the ALT knob for a managed descent, or pull for open descent.

 

I hope this helps,

 

Cheers,

Matt

Howdy:

 

Yes, auto step-climb is a "cheat" option included in this 'bus.  You can select it on/off just like "Pause at TOD", and a couple other short cuts, etc.

 

When I engaged/used that cheat, that is when the situation I described in my post occurs.

 

Thanks for your thoughts. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mattsimsA330 said:

Hi,

I haven't used the A330 sim yet, as I'm waiting for the P3DV5 update, so not sure of it's logic.

 

I am a real world A330 pilot though.

 

There is no 'Auto' step climb. Step climbs are a planning tool in the flightplan only (MCDU), approaching a planned step climb you request a clearance, then select the new ALT in the MCP window, and push the ALT knob (not the ALT hold button) if in managed modes (NAV), or pull if in selected mode (HDG).

 

The Cruise alt in the MCDU should now change to your new MCP cruise alt and the jet should climb.

 

Also at TOD, unlike Boeings, the aircraft will not descend of its own accord, you must select a new altitude, then either push the ALT knob for a managed descent, or pull for open descent.

 

I hope this helps,

 

Cheers,

Matt

Forgot to mention, I think the A330 is on sale right now.  You should pick it up while it's a few dollars off and just wait to install.

 

Also, when you do install it...could you please make a youtube tutorial of how your company sets-up the MCDU for ETOPS.

 

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Deputy Sheriffs
On 5/6/2020 at 4:10 AM, Dreamflight767 said:

Howdy:

 

Yes, auto step-climb is a "cheat" option included in this 'bus.  You can select it on/off just like "Pause at TOD", and a couple other short cuts, etc.

 

When I engaged/used that cheat, that is when the situation I described in my post occurs.

 

Thanks for your thoughts. 

 

 

NO!
There is no such option! You have to do it manually as @mattsimsA330 described.
We have pause at next step alt. This triggers pause, when the scratchpad message STEP AHEAD is triggerd.
image.png
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, masterhawk said:

NO!
There is no such option! You have to do it manually as @mattsimsA330 described.
We have pause at next step alt. This triggers pause, when the scratchpad message STEP AHEAD is triggerd.
image.png
 

LOL...Well, I guess you're right.  For some reason, I thought auto step climb was an option.

 

Regardless,  this just brings up another issue then.  

 

Airplane was supposed to be at FL360 (as seen in my pic) and on its own climbed up to FL400 and would not fly the speed in the MCDU.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...