Recently we have seen a lot of codes used to unlock our products being offered for discounted prices. Almost all of them are bought using stolen credit cards. These codes will all be blocked by our systems and you will have to try to get your money back from the seller, we are unable to assist in these matters. Do be very careful when you see a deal that is almost too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.

Jump to content
Ray Proudfoot

Why no option to pay in UKP?

Recommended Posts

Aerosoft have a European and US site that allows customers who use the USD or Euro to buy products using their own currency.

 

We Brits don’t have that option which means we have to pay a currency surcharge on every purchase. This seems inherently unfair. When you look at the demographic of flight sim users we Brits are up near the top.

 

Why can’t you give us the option of paying in UKP so we can avoid these charges whether we pay by credit card or PayPal? And why no option to pay by debit card which should not incur charges?

 

Give us a better deal please. Would it real be difficult to do so?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Have to admit this is the main reason I rarely buy through Aerosoft's store, I tend to get Aerosoft's products from a UK site.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, stevefocus said:

Have to admit this is the main reason I rarely buy through Aerosoft's store, I tend to get Aerosoft's products from a UK site.

 

Steve, care to divulge that site? There are some credit cards that are best for foreign use with no charges for currency conversion. I’m going to apply for one tomorrow but the question remains why residents of a major European country are charged a fee when others aren’t.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

but the question remains why residents of a major European country are charged a fee when others aren’t.

 

I agree that the British pound (which is GBP by the way, not UKP) is a major and well accepted currency, however if you start adding one currency you can only wonder what will be next. Scandinavian crowns? Swiss francs? Russian rubles? Where will it end?

Share this post


Link to post

We'll have to see what to do with UK sales after the Brexit, as Patrick said though, once we start offering other currencies every major country will start asking for theirs to be included as well.

 

To be fair though, these conversion charges aren't too bad, I pay about 50p at my bank if I buy something in Euros rather than Pounds. I do not share your feeling that this is "inherently unfair".

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, PatrickZ said:

 

I agree that the British pound (which is GBP by the way, not UKP) is a major and well accepted currency, however if you start adding one currency you can only wonder what will be next. Scandinavian crowns? Swiss francs? Russian rubles? Where will it end?

 

Minor point. The country is called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland so UKP is preferable to me as it links NI to the UK. And as the UK has the 5th largest economy it's not an unreasonable request. Scandinavian, Switzerland and Russia don't feature in top 10. Also, the number of customers from the UK far outweighs any of those countries.

 

4 minutes ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

We'll have to see what to do with UK sales after the Brexit, as Patrick said though, once we start offering other currencies every major country will start asking for theirs to be included as well.

 

To be fair though, these conversion charges aren't too bad, I pay about 50p at my bank if I buy something in Euros rather than Pounds. I do not share your feeling that this is "inherently unfair".

 

What % is that? I recently bought PMDG737 (from them I'm afraid) and was charged 3% so I paid 3 UKP in charges.  Same applies if I buy from Aerosoft. It's not Aerosoft making those charges, it's the credit card company. But if you had a GBP option I wouldn't pay those charges.

 

Does Aerosoft permit debit cards to be used? Maybe there aren't any charges for those?

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

What % is that? I recently bought PMDG737 (from them I'm afraid) and was charged 3% so I paid 3 UKP in charges.  Same applies if I buy from Aerosoft. It's not Aerosoft making those charges, it's the credit card company. But if you had a GBP option I wouldn't pay those charges.

 

Does Aerosoft permit debit cards to be used? Maybe there aren't any charges for those?

 

In my bank it's not a percentage, it's a one off fee.

Most UK banks now offer Visa debit cards as "standart" cards, don't they? These should work in our shop if I'm not mistaken.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

 

In my bank it's not a percentage, it's a one off fee.

Most UK banks now offer Visa debit cards as "standart" cards, don't they? These should work in our shop if I'm not mistaken.

 

They do but there's a catch. We have a website where you can check which cards have a currency conversion charge and which don't. I used it this morning and it told me my existing debit card was "a card from hell" meaning the charges are very high. Around 3%. NO different to my credit card. They also recommend credit cards that are best for overseas use as they don't have any conversion charges.

 

I've now signed up for one and will be using it for all future flight sim online purchases so I won't get that conversion charge.

 

But it would still be nice to see prices in GBP on Aerosoft. Us Brits must be some of your best customers. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Emanuel Hagen said:

To be fair though, these conversion charges aren't too bad, I pay about 50p at my bank if I buy something in Euros rather than Pounds. I do not share your feeling that this is "inherently unfair".

 

What bank would that be?

 

I just checked my own credit card (Neteller) and they apply a 3,99% exchange fee for paying in other currencies than your own. For me this doesn't make any difference since my card is already in Euros, but should you have a card in another currency and you make big purchases 3,99 percent can be quite a lot.

 

From the Neteller terms of service:

* The foreign exchange (FX) rate applied by NETELLER is a daily interbank market rate (selected from customary industry sources) plus a foreign exchange processing fee of 3.99%. Any conversion carried out by third parties prior to the relevant amount being deposited into your NETELLER account (e.g. by your credit card company) will be made using rates selected by those third parties and NETELLER shall have no responsibility for those conversions. Display is limited to 8 digits.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/25/2019 at 10:27 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

 

Steve, care to divulge that site?

 

Was not sure if I was allowed, I use https://www.justflight.com/ . I have used them for years and never been let down by them and they are very quick to inform you of any updates that aerosoft has made.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, stevefocus said:

 

Was not sure if I was allowed, I use https://www.justflight.com/ . I have used them for years and never been let down by them and they are very quick to inform you of any updates that aerosoft has made.

Thanks Steve. Bit of a niche company really. Doesn’t stock many popular airports so it’s of limited use to me. But being British we don’t get stung for currency charges.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, PatrickZ said:

I just checked my own credit card (Neteller) and they apply a 3,99% exchange fee for paying in other currencies than your own.

Ouch! That’s even worse than the 2.99% I’m charged.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Steve. Bit of a niche company really. Doesn’t stock many popular airports so it’s of limited use to me. But being British we don’t get stung for currency charges.

 

It's useful if you need any aerosoft scenery or aircraft as they stock them all I believe. I agree that they don't stock a lot of other developers products though.

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry, we are not planning to add any additional currency. Not only because it is rather expensive and complex, but also because like others suggested it would open up the same questions for złoty etc (Poland is a major market for us). 

Share this post


Link to post

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...