Blurry/shimmering textures at Aerosoft airports -PLEASE HELP

Jimmy44

FS9 problem:

There is no doubt that the best airport sceneries out there for FS9 are under the Aerosoft umbrella which makes it doubly frustrating that I cannot use them!

I bought Spanish 2, Mega airport Vienna, Islands of Malta and Frankfurt and once I have taken off from the airport and look back at the airport the whole scenery has a horrible shimmering/blurry look, with jaggy lines etc

All the scnery around the airport is crystal clear and fine, it is only the airport scenery which has this problem. The same happens with the Spanish 2 products, Islands of Malta and Frankfurt. I stopped buying Aerosoft airports in case I encounter the same problem with all of them!

I have other airport sceneries e.g UK2000 and i don't have the same problem with them so it seems to be an aerosoft problem. I have just bought a new computer and here are my specs:

Intel Dual core 6700 2.67

Nvidia 8800 GTX

Geil DDR2 Ram

Samsung Syncmaster 22 inch widescreen 226BW

The add ons I use are:

Active sky

Ground environment

Ultimate terrain Europe

Active camera

Ultimate traffic

I have tried changing the antiailising and anistopic filtering via the Nvidia control panel and the strange thing is that these changes only effect the scenery OUTSIDE the airpirt scenery! Changing these setting has no impact on the airport scenery at all.

I have noticed there is an update for a blurry problem with the Seville airport for Spanish airports 2. i wonder if this is the same problem and if so is ther a patch/update for Frankfurt, Vienna and other aerosoft airports?

I love your airports so some help woudl be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much

I had big problems landing at Hannover, and the texture problems stemmed from Frankfurt, (which was the airport that i had taken off from).

Someone on this forum told me that my problem would be solved if i downloaded the patch for Frankfurt from the support site. And it was solved. It seems that if you took off from frankfurt, or flew over it and then landed at another airport, you got flickering textures. If you look at my posting "really need help here", you should find the link.

Hope this helps.

Stephen.

• Verified Developer
I will next time Oliver, if i can work out how to do it.

Ste.

Hi,

easy: Cut and Paste the url of the thread from the browser in the text, thats it.

Thanks guys,

Apologies I made a mistake I thought I had Frankfurt (Mega airport) but it is by another developer. (Ihave quite few add ons it gets confusing sometimes!) anyway the problem is really bad with vienna mega airport and other aerosoft airports.It also makes no difference if I fly from or two an airport as you describe for Frankfurt, the problem is there all the time!

I tried the support update for Seville to sort out shimmering but it didn't make any difference. Do you think its a problem with my card, as I've heard Nvidia cards can be the culprit?

I am really dispairing because there are so few decent add on airports out there that don't have this problem for me. :( Thanks for all your help once again

• Aerosoft
Thanks guys,

Apologies I made a mistake I thought I had Frankfurt (Mega airport) but it is by another developer. (Ihave quite few add ons it gets confusing sometimes!) anyway the problem is really bad with vienna mega airport and other aerosoft airports.It also makes no difference if I fly from or two an airport as you describe for Frankfurt, the problem is there all the time!

I tried the support update for Seville to sort out shimmering but it didn't make any difference. Do you think its a problem with my card, as I've heard Nvidia cards can be the culprit?

I am really dispairing because there are so few decent add on airports out there that don't have this problem for me. :( Thanks for all your help once again

Try renaming your FS9.cfg so FS builds a new one on startup. Clearly your hardware is up to date so it has to be a setting.

I tried that but sadly it didn't work - I'm beginning to think this could be the fact I have a Nvidia card, as I've heard ATI cards don't have the same problem

J

• Aerosoft
I tried that but sadly it didn't work - I'm beginning to think this could be the fact I have a Nvidia card, as I've heard ATI cards don't have the same problem

J

No, that would be to easy.

Try this, make two flights, one over the area you got issues on, one on the area you don't have issues with. Reboot your system, load these flights, wait 30 seconds. If you still see differences, make a screenshot and post it here.

I am sure we can get this issue solved as soon as we understand it.

One thing I meant to mention in my first post - I've noticed this shimmering problem seems to get worse the further from the airport scenery you fly. I don't know wether this is just a perspective thing or not. It seems like a big contrast between the crisp lines and textures of the scenery outside th airport, to the shimmering, jagged lines of the airport scenery. Anyway on with the screen shots!

Cheers

Hello Jimmy44,

If you have Imagetool you could try converting the textures to DXT3 with Mipmapping. Imagetool allows for batch conversions so should be easy to try. Make a backup of your texture folders before converting though.

Thanks Shaun - I have never used imagetool. Do you know where I can download it and very breifly how I can use it to convert the textures? Cheers

J

I'm going to try and take a screen shot this evening so you can see an example of a shimmering airport! It may not illustrate the problem very well because you have to be moving to see the 'marching ants' effect which is prevelant on so many of my add on airports.

I've tried a few other airports both freeware and other publishing companies and I was wrong that this is only a problem with Aerosoft airports. What I don't understand is why this problem doesn't effect the default high detail airports in FS9, it seems to be only add ons where things go wrong.

Thanks Shaun - I have found a program called ImageTool verson 3.0 which dates back to 2002 - Not sure if this is the right one? If not I would really appreciate a point in the right direction.

Many thanks

James

Hello James,

Can you start it and then check the Help|About Imagetool.

It should say something like.

ACS Image Tool

©1993-2003 Microsoft Corporation

If it does then place a copy this file in the Root of your Windows folder.

Run the Command Prompt found under the Start menu under Accessories and then type imagetool -h in it. This should then bring up a window with all the options in it.

Let me know if it does that.

Hi Shaun,

I don't think I have the right Image Tool program - there is no mention of ACS or 1993-2003 Microsoft. The program was made by a guy called Martin Wright 1995-2006. Do you know a link where i can find the tool? Cheers