US Airports: Questions on San Francisco & Boston

StewartSky

Gentlemen: I have two problems, and look forward to your insights:

1) I am the proud owner of your US Airports, and have been having much fun with San Francisco International, which is only a few minutes away from my home. When I first took myself to your SFO, I was delighted to see the "Air Train", the little trains that go between the terminals on raised rails above the airport. The last few times I have gone to your SFO, the Air Train cars are no longer running. Where did they go??

2) I am all excited about AES, and thought I would try the service for free before buying my credits for SFO and SAN, my two favorite airports. Soooooo, I followed the steps to get Boston (Logan) downloaded, this being your free US airport with which I have had some experience. Followed your instructions to get Boston Logan from Fly Tampa, and also downloaded the update per instructions. Think I did everything pretty much by the book. Must have done something wrong, however, as FS2004 crashes when I try to go to KBOS, and crashes when I approach KBOS from the air i.e. my FS2004 does not like KBOS!!

Should I start over again? I love your stuff!! Sincerely,

Check to make sure you do not have duplicate afcads for KBOS. The only afcad that should be active is the one you installed with the scenery. If you have older ones and don't want to delete them (for backup reasons) rename the old afcad to something like "AF2_KBOS.bak" . The only thing changed is the "bgl" to "bak" and it is now inactive. Hope that helps.

PS- If you still need more help head over to the Flytampa forums as they are the developers of the scenery. www.flytampa.org

Dear AES Addict: Thanks for the prompt reply. Think I am becoming an addict too!

Hate to sound naive, but not sure exactly what an "Afcad" is, and not sure where to look to see if I have "duplicate afcads for KBOS". Can you give me a little more direction.

Per your direction, did go to forum at FlyTampa for the question about the missing AirTrain. If you have US Airports, do you see the AirTrains at SFO?

Thanks again for your help!!

Hi Stewart!

Maybe you moved the slider in scenery settings of "dynamic scenery". Move it all to the right, "Extremely dense" and check, if you see the AirTrain now.

If you love SFO and SAN so much, what would be better than trying AES there. Every Airport is automatically in "demo - mode", available for five minutes.

Marco: Good to hear from you. Where the heck is Kesterbach?

Did what you said, and voila, everything is there, including traffic (cars and a coach) that I had not seen before. Thanks!!!!

Do you have any clue as to why my KBOS crashes the computer. Some nice gentleman talked about duplicate afcads, but I don't know what these are or how to check for duplicates. Can you help??

Will try demos at KSFO and KSAN.

Regards, and thanks again!!

Where the heck is Kesterbach?

My nick gives it away - small town, minutes from EDDF.

how to check for duplicates

Do a search for "af2_kbos*.*" The one in the scenery-folder of FlyTampas Boston is ok, but if the search comes up with another, then rename it from .bgl to .bak as _Dre_ suggests.

Marco of Frankfurt: I found eight "af2_kbos*.*" files, tried playing with the extensions, and still crashed the computer. Finally realized I don't give a damn about Boston anyway (decided to follow your suggestion and buy credits for KSFO and KSAN and KORD), so I just deleted the Fly/Tampa Boston Logan file altogether to get back to square one. I can now go to the default (ugly) Boston airport without computer crashing.

However, I have really screwed up AES. If I try to open AESHelp, I get the message "Error Reading Datafiles - Version of FS BGL-files not fit to AESHelp version. Reinstall newest basepack." Have done this reinstall repeatedly, to no avail. Also, now when I go to KSFO, I get a dreaded red screen saying "AES Detact activation error - D2 (could be 02) - Run AESHelp" and, of course, when I try to run AESHelp, I get the "Error Reading Datafiles" already mentioned. Can you give me some more advice so I can start clean and buy some credits for KSFO and KSAN? Sorry to bother you again. Really frustrating! Hope all is well in EDDF!!

• Developer

Hi,

can you please delete the ..AerosoftAES directory structure complete, before you run the installer of 1.70 again.

Take care that the installed display the correct FS-Main Directory while this install. Maybe you registry entry of the FS is wrong or damaged.

Take also care, that you call the AESHelp direct from the installed directory <fsmain>aerosoftAES and not a copy of the EXE somewhere on your desktop.

brgds

Oliver Pabst

Oliver and Marco: Right on!!!!!!!! Worked like a charm. I followed your instructions to the letter, and I am back in business. Now about to buy some credits and enjoy KSFO and KSAN. You just made some money for Aerosoft!!

Thanks again from one American with Germany ancestry (Dinklesbuhl) to two of The Fatherland!

Regards, Stew

ok, now that this is solved (thanks to Oliver for chiming in), I suggest you have another look at FlyTampas Bosten by George Grimshaw.

Otherwise you would miss an outstanding scenery. You need two files:

"bostonv2.zip" and "bostonv2.1_update.zip"

Available here

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...;Go=Change+View

But delete or rename these af2_kbos.bgls you have found.

Marco: Just landed at Boston/Logan and called the car to take me to Gate B-15. Had a little problem with loading Boston/Logan again, but after reloading AES all was fine.

Thanks again for the help, and for pushing me to enjoy Boston Logan. Have been enjoying this so much I haven't yet used my ten credits.

Your friend from KSFO, Stew

Marco and Victor: Spoke too soon. Everything fine getting to gate and putting on parking brake and shutting down engines. Marshaller brought me in, told me to cut engines, and left. Cool!!

However, just learned that I am to push the various "F1, F2, F3...." keys to get Deboarding sounds, Catering Truck, Cleaning car, etc. None of these seem to work. Think I am missing some basic info. Can you help again?

I'm getting there. Bear with me, please.

Thanks again, Stew

• Developer

Wait, am I missing something? There is AES for a KORD airport?

Nop, type mistake, or did you know a good KORD Addon, which could be done?

brgds

Oliver Pabst

• 2 weeks later...

Marco, Victor, and Oliver:

Well,,,,,, I am getting better. Pretty good at getting to gate and setting parking break. Jetway comes and various trucks pull up automatically, as indicated in AES Manual.

From here, I am unsure what to do. If I press Ctrl+Shift+w I get a menu of things to do. Manual seems to indicate that releasing parking brake starts the departure process (pushback, etc.). Before departure, am I to be pushing the various "F" keys to get the catering, fuel, cleaning trucks, etc.?

I guess I am asking for you to give me, if possible, an example of what are the normal keystrokes needed for an arrival and departure. Bear with me, and thanks for much fun!! This is really realistic!!!

• Developer
Marco, Victor, and Oliver:

Well,,,,,, I am getting better. Pretty good at getting to gate and setting parking break. Jetway comes and various trucks pull up automatically, as indicated in AES Manual.

From here, I am unsure what to do. If I press Ctrl+Shift+w I get a menu of things to do. Manual seems to indicate that releasing parking brake starts the departure process (pushback, etc.). Before departure, am I to be pushing the various "F" keys to get the catering, fuel, cleaning trucks, etc.?

I guess I am asking for you to give me, if possible, an example of what are the normal keystrokes needed for an arrival and departure. Bear with me, and thanks for much fun!! This is really realistic!!!

Hi,

which version do you have installed. Actual we are by 1.71.

There, when you have a inbound flight, you press First F1 for deboard. When this is finished, you press F2, F3 and F4, to request the services.

When this are finished, you press F5 for boarding. Then as last step, you press F6, when you want to start to go for you flight.

In older Version, there was only F4 to request the Catering, and then F1 when you are ready to go for your flight.

To release the parkingbrakes is only another option to open the menu at the moment.

Victor and Marco: Thanks for the latest "keystroke" info. Have loaded credits into KSAN and KSFO and flew between them last night and used all of the keystrokes as directed (using Version 1.71). It took me a while, but I think I have it down, and the effects are superb!! Really adds to the experience.

I'll most likely have another question or two down the road, so don't breathe too large a sigh of relief. Regardless, thank you all for your prompt and helpful responses and creation of a wonderful product.

Regards from sunny California!