Twotter autopilot question

AriesFirewind

Hello guys.

Tommy here and it is my First time here after I purchased recently awsoem Twin otter. Everything is ok except autopilot wich I totaly hate at this point. I hav my share of payware planes and some others also use "partial" autopilot so to say. But this one as I think is not responding to ALT button correctly, he like to pitch up heavily on every ALT turn on and turn off, it is constantly ignoring my input when ALT is off so I cant use manual climb abd say heading hold or nav hold. Ofc, i must not forget "last altitude hold memory" wich iw as unable to clear up to this point. of important things i use Steam edition of FSX, new PC (I3, 8gb ram and Radeon r7 200). Yoke I use is Thrustmaster hotas X and i setup on it trim buttons for ease of flying. That was working well on any pc 8within limmit of my skills) except on this one. So to cut this story short, i could use detailed manual for twoter autopilot , video links ..etc wich could help me understand this plane better beacose manual is well. I found nothing intere regarding piltoting and using built in Systems, especialy AP. Anyway just a note, this is not raging, this is trying to be construstive critic. (forgive my bad English). I will try to write more data or explain my sitiation better if someone have any question.

Thank you

Tommy

4 minutes ago, AriesFirewind said:

So to cut this story short, i could use detailed manual for twoter autopilot , video links ..etc wich could help me understand this plane better

The autopilot is described in the manual (vol 2, 'Systems'), although the description is a bit terse and certainly not complete. That said, it does describe the functions you are talking about (ALT hold). You are most likely mixing up the functions of the ALT Alert system and the ALT Hold, which I have written about a couple of times here recently (for example, here). For some videos on the various systems look here. If you want a more complete (though still not complete) manual, you could follow my banner link and buy my Twin Otter eBook (or paperback) :)

Thanks this is nuff data. I did mix up ALT alerter and ALT hold before but now I am not sure is ALT alerter serves any other function besides alerting you?  I sis look at Systems but it is possible that I did not notice AP part. I will go and take a look. What I would like to Know how AP behaves when I turn on and of ALT during active AP and will it reset and in what conditions. Besides that  I am intzeresting to know how trimming affects ALT hold and ALT alerter cos this is confusing now.

A2A Cherokee 180 also had very basic ALT hold system but that one is working flawlesly. Go to altitude you want, pres alt hold and he will hold it. disconect alt hole (AP is still on ) and now I can manualy adjust altitude and still AP will hold course for me. This is something i cant get in this one. I like to fly manualy but I like to have AP on in cruise and during mid flight adjustments of altitudes.

Wow. I did mis ALOT when i missed that Ap explanation in Systems book lol. Thanks for tip, now I know where was my mistake. I mistakenly took ALT as my main alt hold button as I would do in other planes, but I read if i use like IAS mode I can manualy set climb or descend up to altitude set on alerter and as added bonus plane will hold desired speed.

Now if i wanna prepare for landind aproach and get my speed below 102. i am guessing that turning ALT button to on will hold that altitude under assumption that I flew strait and level before. Then I can set my new desired speed and switch back to IAS under new speed set and again use power to descend for landing if I use maybe nonprecision aproach or I just wanna added assistance during descend and aproach phase.

I hope that my explanation has some sense hehe.

See you all. Off to practise what i was just saying :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived