Question

Would I be wrong if I said these two real Airbus A319 and A320 flights performed a flight without holding fuel?

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

Hi,

why not, but the pilots probably havn´t margin for an second Approach try. With reaching the Final Reserve the crew must decide for fly to the alternate or landing (in few more trys) at the destination airport, but than without the chhange for an flight to the alternate.

In the second case, the airplane has 17.5 t Fuel and is probably near the MTOW. The flight to the Canary Islands can have an Re Clearance part and/or as before.

There's no HOLD fuel category in Cirrus. If delays are anticipated over and above those already accounted for by the contingency fuel figure then the dispatcher can add EXTRA fuel or the Captain can elect to add EXTRA (and circle the reason - WX for Weather or ATC for ATC-related delays).

Most of the time the Cirrus statistical contingency (CONT 95, meaning that 95% of previous BA A320s on that route used less than 303kg over and above trip -- there's also a CONT 99 option which is even more conservative as it refers to 99% of flights). The first plan is planned using MIN contingency, i.e. 5 minutes.

Extra fuel for delays is separate to the 30 minute final reserve which you should never have to touch.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply, so just to clarify, what you are saying is that holding fuel is not a must if not needed, and so contingency fuel would be used as holding fuel that's if any remains? 

Archived