Dublin - Texture and elevation issues

Hi

Before I start I should say that I have done a detailed search of the Aerosoft forums (and FTX forums) regarding this problem and have managed to partially resolve some of the issues though some problems still persist. As a background to the problem I have a smoothly functioning FSX installed together with FTX-Ireland and UT Europe (I do not use FTX Vector). In addition I have a huge amount of payware scenery from all the quality developers including most of the Aerosoft Mega Airport series and I have never had any similar problems with any other airports. Furthermore I have replaced the original version of Mega EIDW with the V.110 version, however the problem still seems to persist (In case anyone asks, I have selected the 1024 textures, deactivated the flags, selected the FTX-Ireland option and do not have a major problem with OOMs although the VAS usage can sometimes get as high as 3.8 or 3.9). From my forum search I can see that some other users seem to have similar problems but I cannot seem to find a definite solution as yet.

Basically, Mega EIDW is perfect when I start a flight from Dublin, with absolutely amazing airport scenery and perfect FTX scenery around it and this remains the case if I do a flight perhaps a hundred miles west and back again, with no problems on approach to EIDW and great scenery. However if I start a flight at another airport such as Shannon and fly to EIDW the textures for about 3-5 miles radius around EIDW are completely blurred on approach with almost no autogen visible and the airport buildings usually do not appear until about 30-60 seconds after I land with the ground textures both within the airport perimeter and outside the perimeter remaining blurred and only changing back to what they should be about 1 or 2 minutes after landing, at which point all the FTX autogen also reappears! Although initially I thought the problem was related to FTX as it seemed to disappear when FTX-Ireland was deactivated, this was a misleading impression as the problem still occurs irrespective of whether FTX-Ireland is active or not (have just edited this post with this information). Likewise inactivating UTX Europe does not make any difference.

Through trial and error I initally also thought that deactivating the cvxDUBLIN_GROUND.BGL file in the Mega EIDW scenery folder almost resolved the issue apart from leaving what looked like some sort of patchy bleed through of (photoreal?) textures in some areas of both runways. However deactivating this file also left the Aerosoft AI road traffic travelling in the air about 10 metres above the level of the roads, with my normal default road traffic travelling on the roads below it! Once again however even with this file deactivated the problem reoccurred on subsequent flights (post edited). As others have indicated, the problem can also be resolved by switching seasons on approach but this is not ideal! Although I can live with these problems if I have to, particularly considering how amazingly good Mega EIDW is, like most simmers, it will probably continue to bug me until I can find a solution! Any help or further ideas that fellow simmers or anyone from Aerosoft might be able to offer would be appreciated, thanks!

Bill

• Aerosoft

I am almost 100% sure this is memory or tweak related. Try again and when you see the blurring effect, make a save and restart FSX, if the problem is then avoided you are sure that it is because you have either very little memory or you have a tweak that makes FSX run faster by taking some shortcuts.

I am almost 100% sure this is memory or tweak related. Try again and when you see the blurring effect, make a save and restart FSX, if the problem is then avoided you are sure that it is because you have either very little memory or you have a tweak that makes FSX run faster by taking some shortcuts.

Thanks Mathjis - will do and will feed back to you. I wondered if it was memory related but my VAS usage is about 2.9 or 3 when blurred and only reaches about 3.7 when all the scenery has appeared correctly, with no OOMs (unless I use something like the PMDG 777). My only tweaks are the Highmemfix=1 and Texture_Max_Load=1024 and my other settings are as per Nvidia Inspector.

Bill

OK, I did as you suggested and you are correct - the blurring effect has disappeared! I don't think it is memory related as the maximum VAS usage on landing at EIDW, with perfect scenery showing, was 3.6. I doubt if the two tweaks I mentioned could have caused this problem so I guess it might in some way be related to my video card settings (I have an Nvidia GTX670 and recently updated the driver for this and then used Nvidia Inspector to set it up as per NickN's advice on the subject). Any further advice would be very much appreciated. Was thinking in terms of uninstalling the driver and re-installing it perhaps without using Nvidia inspector to set it up?

Many thanks,

Bill

• Deputy Sheriffs

Was thinking in terms of uninstalling the driver and re-installing it perhaps without using Nvidia inspector to set it up?

Instead of doing so you can reset it default in NVIDIA Inspector.

Thank you both Mathjis and Otto - great support from Aerosoft as always! I have spent the last two weeks trying to sort out this problem and should probably have posted earlier.

I reset my Nvidia driver to default using Inspector as suggested and reloaded a 'vanilla' FSX cfg that I always keep as a backup and the problem seems resolved.

Thank you once again and keep these great scenery products coming! As an Irishman, maybe I can look forward to an Aerosoft version of Shannon one day!

Slainte agus go raibh mile maith agat (cheers and thanks!)

Bill

Bill,

Further to my comment in the "autogen exclusion" thread, it's worth noting that I have only done short test flights at EIDW Dublin that have started and ended there, so I do not yet know the situation if I fly in from the outside. I will no doubt do this at some point in the future, but I am having so much fun with those "short test flights" at various UK and Ireland airports at the moment that it may be some time before I get to check this out!

Hi Christopher,

Thank you! Yes, I had read your comment in that thread (I read all the threads on the subject at the time!). I would be interested to know how you get on when you fly into EIDW from another airport, as the problem is still occurring intermittently with me, although initially I thought I had resolved it by resetting my NVidia settings and refreshing the FSX cfg. I am sure the problem relates to my own settings and I am now refreshing everything again and systematically checking the settings on Nvidia Inspector. Odd that it only happens at EIDW though, as I just today added Mega Berlin Brandenburg and flew into it from FRA without any similar problems. The mysteries of FSX!

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i've just bought the scenery. it seemes nice but i see some flatten problem i guess at the begining of RNWY 34&28. the ground textures there, are shaking and the hold short line is fading away while i moving to the forward. I use FS9 version of the scenery and v1.00.

Archived