How to un-invert throttle axis only?

Alan_A

My apologies if this question has been addressed before, but after extensive searching I've been unable to find an answer.

Here's my situation:

-- New user of the Airbus X A320/A321, v1.10 with hotfixes 015, 016b and 017 installed

-- I use several different hardware controllers in different combinations for different aircraft, using FSUIPC to create specific profiles. My controllers include a PFC yoke and throttle quadrant, Saitek combat pedals, a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and custom helicopter controls.

-- I followed your instructions to create a custom profile for the Airbus. I used FSUIPC to assign the Thrustmaster Warthog joystick to aileron and elevator, the Saitek pedals to rudder and toe brakes, and the PFC quadrant to throttles 1 and 2 and the spoiler axis. I left the axes uncalibrated in FSUIPC, with all axis pages reading "axis not processed" in the calibration windows. In the Airbus Configurator, I selected "inverted axis" and two throttle axes.

-- All controllers work properly except that the throttle axis is reversed - full forward on hardware gives idle thrust and full aft gives takeoff thrust. The throttle levers in the VC move opposite to the hardware throttles. (Actually, the same issue affects the spoiler axis, though that's not troubling since my hardware is set for aft = retracted, but the aircraft handle is forward for retracted, so let's not worry about that here).

-- I tried de-selecting "inverted axis" and that solved the throttle problem, but it reversed all the flight controls (for aileron, elevator and rudder, left now equals right and up equals down).

-- With any other aircraft, I'd reverse the throttle axis in FSUIPC but that won't work here - to do that requires FSUIPC calibration, and once that happens, the Airbus can no longer read the hardware throttles at all.

What I'd like to do is get the throttles moving in the correct direction, without reversing the flight controls.

I'm completely open to suggestion as to how to do that. Would be glad to provide system specs, files, logs, etc. - whatever would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Not much traffic for this post (which isn't surprising, since the problem is pretty esoteric, and since it's vacation/holiday time in both the U.S. and Europe). So I've submitted it to Aerosoft tech support via e-mail. If they come up with a fix, I'll post it here. Of course I'll continue watching this thread, so if anyone has any insights to share, please do. Again, many thanks!

Joshua - thanks for your reply and for taking the trouble.

Unfortunately, that's not the answer. "Invert Axes" works globally on all the axes at once. It's the correct setting for my flight controls. When I de-selected it to correct the throttles, the throttles were oriented correctly - but all the flight controls were then reversed. So that wasn't workable. I've therefore had to mark your post "unsolved" and remove the "best answer" designation that someone (not me) had awarded it. Am not blaming you for the "best answer" flag, mind you - just want to make sure that others don't go in the wrong direction.

The correct answer comes from Pete Dowson, the FSUIPC developer, and from gadan, a user on the FSUIPC forum. The answer is this: to change the orientation of a single axis in FSUIPC, without having to use the FSUIPC calibration facility, you go into FSUIPC.ini using a text editor, identify the specific axis in the profile's Axis section (mine is called [Axes.Aerosoft Airbus], and add the following parameter to the end of the line: ",*-1" No quotes (that's just for clarity here) and no spaces. The parameter is a multiplier ("times minus one") that inverts the axis. My throttle axes read as follows in the FSUIPC.ini:

[Axes.Aerosoft Airbus]

3=1Z,256,F,66420,0,0,0,*-1

4=1U,256,F,66423,0,0,0,*-1

1Z and 1U are the axis definitions in FSUIPC. You can find them on the Axis Assignment page when running FSUIPC. When you move the axis in question, the designation will show in the boxes toward the top of the window.

Using the same method, I was also able to invert the brake axes so as to be able to use the toe brakes correctly.

I hope this is helpful to you and to others who may be facing the same or similar issues.

EDIT: I ought to add (and should really have said before) that the Airbus looks excellent, and I'm looking forward to being able to get to know it now that this problem is underway. Thanks for all your hard work in making it happen.

Best,

Alan

Archived