Engine 1 start problem

Enzio Queissner

Hello,
I recently bought the crj700/900.
Unfortunately I have problems starting engine number 1. Engine number two starts without problems. Also load  the airplane first in the Ready to taxi and afterwards in the cold and dark does not help.

I have heard that FSUIPC could be an problem.

I am using P3D V4.2, FSUIPC 5 and the latest update of the crj.

I also have gone through a tutorial, but maybe I have done something wrong on the overheadpanel.

Thank you

Please login to display this image.

• Developer

I tried to reproduce this but the only way I managed to get these EICAS indications (3% N1) was before I moved the throttle lever from the SHUT OFF to the IDLE position. After that, the engine always started.

I start the engine as follows.

First I push the start button and after a few seconds I move the throttle lever to Idle. The second engine starts perfectly.

So I repeat this procedure for engine number 1, but after n1 20% it rises immediately back to n1 3%.

• Developer

OK. Let's try another approach (just for testing...). Can you set the aircraft to "READY FOR TAXI" mode on the "AIRCRAFT STATE" page of DAVE (the tablet)? I would like to know if we're facing a problem with just the engine start or if the engine doesn't work at all.

@Enzio Queissner I think the picture shows some mistakes (I'm not a pro but if I remember correct, the start procedure does not look like your overhead config).

1. FUEL PANEL

L / R BOOST PUM.............ON

XFLOW L / R.....OFF (standard)

2. ISOL VALVE.....OPEN

3. BLEED SOURCE....APU

Your GEN 1 and GEN 2 switches are also in the wrong position......

Also for the start procedure don't "wait a few seconds" after pressing the ENG start button, but wait for N2 to increase to 20%..24%

• Developer

It looks exactly the same here when I start engine 2 first followed by engine 1. So the overhead configuration wasn't the issue. To be honest, I have no clue why this doesn't work for you. Did you ever try to start engine #1 first and then engine #2? Does that work?

Dear @Enzio Queissner, this is the first time I read about somebody having an issue to start 1 engine (this does not mean you are doing something wrong or that the issue does not exist!!!).

I think the only way of debugging this, is to start with the basics:

1. How did you update to v4.2?

2. What version of the CRJ have you installed and how?

3. You mention FSUIPC: is it the registered or the free version? If registered and configured somehow, can you try to save (export) your settings and bring FSUIPC in a default state? (I only use the free version of FSUIPC so have no idea what options you have)

4. What controller do you use? Can you unplug it?

***if everything fails***

5. By any chance you can follow P3D debugging steps by "deleting generated files" or even a complete uninstall / install of P3D and installing ONLY the CRJ to see if the problem is fixed?

Regards,

Gerald

I have tried an engine start without having FSUIPC 5 loaded (register version) an now the engine start works fine for both engines.

I think the issue is connected with FSUIPC 5.

CRJ 1.0.6.0 and P3D v4.3.

• Developer

Another possible reason could be the state of the simulator before you load the CRJ.

How do you load the aircraft?

1. Manual aircraft selection in the Scenario window right after running P3D?
  2. Loading a flight in the Scenario window?
  3. Manual aircraft selection after another aircraft has been loaded?
  4. Loading a flight after another aircraft has been loaded?

If your answer is 2 or 4, please send me the flight file (Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\<the name of your flight>.fxml; the .wx and .crj files too please, if they exist).

If your answer is 3 or 4, please let me know which aircraft that is and in which state it is (cold&dark, partially powered up, engines running)

• Developer

All the critical things like fuel selectors etc. are correct in that save file. I loaded the situation, set the CRJ back to cold and dark and did an APU-only startup with engine 2 first, followed by engine 1. No problems at all.

So, back to your idea that the problem might be related to FSUIPC. I think the easiest solution would be to deactivate FSUIPC.dll in DLL.xml for a test. If engine #1 starts, there is some relation between FSUIPC and the problem, if it doesn't, then we're back to square one.

If it's really related to FSUIPC, you should check if there's anything assigned to the engine #1 mixture control. That would actually prevent the engine from starting. Normally this is assigned to Ctrl+Alt+F1.

I have turned off FSUIPC 5 again and still one engine only starts, but when I started the engines this morning, without using FSUIPC 5, both engines started without problems. I have not found that mixture entry inside the FSUIPC 5 program.

I have deleted the mixture entry inside the P3D settings, but  it did not help either.

I do not understand what is going on.

I have turned off FSUIPC 5 again and still one engine only starts, but when I started the engines yesterday morning, without using FSUIPC 5, both engines started without problems. I have not found that mixture entry inside the FSUIPC 5 program.

I have deleted the mixture entry inside the P3D settings, but  it did not help either.

I do not understand what is going on.

•  

Dear @Enzio Queissner, your issue is hard to track down and I suspect that you won't be able to fix it. I think you already spent a lot of time in debugging your sim.

You will deffinately spend lesser time starting from scratch meaning:

1. Hit that "Delete generated files" and add the CRJ to test it.

If it fails then:

2. Uninstall your AddOns and P3D, delete ALL remaining files and start from square one with the CRJ ( nothing else, no FSUIPC, no RAAS, no SODE, nothing but the CRJ).

I tried a flight with crj today (with FSUIPC 5) and an engine still did not start. then I wanted to put the plane into `ready to taxi ´ mode, but the engine did not start even after the mode was activated. I have installed a second copy of p3d for testing only the crj. I will continue testing and report back later.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived