WarHorse47

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please login to display this image.

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:55 PM, WarHorse47 said:

Easier said than done..  :P

--WH

Don't forget that, in later life, the Lightning was getting to be high fatigue and high hours - so a 'do-not-exceed' of 600 knots was imposed on the fleet.

These guys used to find that amusing.....

Dave

And I'm sure they religiously stuck to it !;) .

The only case of serious paint loss I heard about was I think one of 11 sqn pilots who went hell for leather after an F-111 at low level .....only gave up when he noticed the OAT gauge was getting a bit high  ( the speed strip and sby ASI were long off the clock.)  Pretty hard to deny it as most of the paint had gone from the leading edges of his wings by the time he landed.!

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully I'll upload a repaint of XS451 as she was in 2007 at Thunder City to simviation soon. The paint is done and Dave has shown me how to remove the refuelling probe etc. but Eivin's had some technical difficulties so I'll wait until he's up and running again so he can test it in P3D and work his usual magic with the screenshots!

C.

1 hour ago, TheCameronPerson said:

Hopefully I'll upload a repaint of XS451 as she was in 2007 at Thunder City to simviation soon. The paint is done and Dave has shown me how to remove the refuelling probe etc. but Eivin's had some technical difficulties so I'll wait until he's up and running again so he can test it in P3D and work his usual magic with the screenshots!

C.

It's.... beautiful :wub: 

9 hours ago, TheCameronPerson said:

C.

I have P3Dv3.4. Gimme.

Dave

Well seeing as I thought I had some spare time I decided to revisit the F6 repaint kit and redo my Thunder City fleet so they all match the 2007 time frame.. This way they can all be consistent. I also hear that the LPG at Bruntingthorpe are going to show off the new livery of XR713. One side is remaining as 111 Squad and the other side will be painted up as 56 Squad. Seems we'll have another "split" Lightning to fly ;)

C.

ZU-BEW is perhaps the only example of a dirt free F6 that I can find. Seems that the folks at Thunder City kept her squeaky clean, well I guess we all want a little pampering when we've retired!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:28 PM, TheCameronPerson said:

C.

Curious as to what happened to this (and other T.5) textures. 

Back on 6/27 it was mentioned that it was to be posted to simviation soon.

Must be one heck of a hangover not to finish this beauty  :wub:

--WH

Fear not she's on her way! Eivin's P3D is up and running again and was able to test the paints, it showed quite good in FSX if I say so myself but in P3D the reflections were way toooo high so I've been redoing the alpha channels and they're with Eivin now for testing. All being well I'll send them off to Simviation this evening B)

C.

22 hours ago, WarHorse47 said:

Must be one heck of a hangover not to finish this beauty  :wub:

https://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=Aerosoft+Lightning+T5+%26+F6&x=0&y=0

the download is now up and running on Simviation ;) it contains two repaints for Thunder City, one T5 and F6. Thanks again to Eivin for testing it for me.

hope you like it!

C.

Got them.  Thanks.

Our of curiosity, why did you select Thunder City?  I'm not familiar with them and the info on the web is a little fragmented.  How many Lightnings did they have?  Is there a list of types and numbers in their inventory?

--WH

4 hours ago, WarHorse47 said:

Got them.  Thanks.

Our of curiosity, why did you select Thunder City?  I'm not familiar with them and the info on the web is a little fragmented.  How many Lightnings did they have?  Is there a list of types and numbers in their inventory?

--WH

Here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_City

Dave

Well I chose Thunder City because up until 2010 they were the only place where you could actually fly in a Lightning (for around £10,000 I believe). In 2009 they lost XS451 (the T5 above) in a fatal crash at the Overberg Air Show, they soldiered on until 2010 when the South African CAA published their report into the crash which really was quite damning. They found a catalogue of errors by Thunder City in maintence of the aircraft and found the pilot to be in breach of several flight safety laws at the time of the crash, even to the extent that he was flying an air show without the proper license allowing him to do so (it had expired and he had failed to reapply and Thunder City had failed to check).

They found that the crash was caused by the usual Lightning trick of leaking fuel onto the jet pipes which caused an inflight fire which burnt through the hydraulics and caused a HYD 1 & 2 failure. Stock managed to point the aircraft away from the crowd but upon trying his ejection seat it failed and he sadly died. The report stated that the seat had not been serviced properly and there were signs on the flight before that there was a fuel leak somewhere on the aircraft but they chose to ignore it until the plane's major service due at the end of the year. The SA CAA report is available online if you're interested.

But the story of Thunder City began in the UK in the 1990s when a South African business man called Mike Beachy Head viewed a Lightning and decided he wanted to fly it back home in Soufh Africa. At the time there were a few "live" Lightnings preserved around the country by enthusiasts who were desperately trying to get CAA approval to fly them in the UK. This was met with a resounding no unsurprisingly, the CAA viewed the Lightning as a "complex" aircraft and wouldn't allow one to fly without proper support from the manafacturer (by now English Electric had become BAE Systems) who also refused citing their belief that one would crash. Despite this Beachy Head was able to buy four Lightning two T5s and two F6s. He had also purchased a Buccaneer in the belief that he could fly the Lightnings out of the UK and use the Buccaneers for Yankee support. Again unsurprisingly Beachy Head was told to get on his bike. All the Lightnings were boxed up and sent to South Africa where they built a facility on one of the aprons at Cape Town International. All were returned to flight by 2009 and occasionally all four flew at airshows with former Lightning pilots flying the single seaters. It's worth noting that although the SA CAA allowed them to fly they were bombarded by worries by the U.K. CAA saying a crash at some point would be inevitable. The crash report suggested Thunder City working with BAE Systems to inspect air worthiness but BAE didn't like that idea, instead they wanted maximum distance away from the venture. At their peak they had around 12 aircraft in total made up of four Lightnings, three Buccaneers, Hunters and a Puma helicopter.

sorry the long reply ;)

C

After the crash the remaining Lightnings made a few appearances before Thunder City stopped offering rides. The aircraft were disassembled and put into crates at the back of the Thunder City where they still are today. In 2014 Mike Beachy Head made "the first flight" in a number of years in XS452 ZU-BBD but despite many believing that it would see the rebrand of Thunder City it just turned out that Beachy Head wanted a spin. Luckily they're all stored in an airworthy state. Last year the entire fleet of Buccaneers, Hunters and Lightnings were up for sale for the second time since the crash but have now been removed from the website. I don't know whether they were removed from sale or were sold, seeing as all other sold aircraft have remained on the site I'd say they were withdrawn. Not sure what the plans for them are now, in May this year Mike Beachy Head passed away so that adds another complexity to the fates of these aircraft. They had a memorial service for Mike last month in the Thunder City hangar and at that point all the aircraft were still there so who knows what will happen now..

C.

43 minutes ago, TheCameronPerson said:

* in first post, it should read that the Buccaneer was purchased to act as *tanker support* <_<

:rolleyes: Damned auto correct ?.. I was wondering what Yankee support was .... ... ferrying the punters from the states ?

Last month at the Cold War Jets meet I was talking to the broker acting for a " European Consortium" that had supposedly acquired the Thunder city jets , but everyone seems to be keeping their cards pretty close to their chest .

D

Archived