Question on speed setting on approach.

bobsk8

On approach, if ATC tells me to reduce speed to 180 knots and I am currently in managed mode doing 250 knots, I pull the speed knob out and set it to 180.  Once the aircraft slows to 180, can I push the knob back in and it continues to hold 180 in managed mode and performs the normal speed reduction for Flaps 2-3- and 4?  I tried this on an approach today, and when I got to 180, I pushed the knob in, and it started to accelerate back to 250. So I am not quite clear how this should work, and have been leaving it at 250 and managed mode  despite what ATC says, until it automatically slows down to 180 at flaps 1. I hope my question is clear. 

• Deputy Sheriffs

Unless you haven't initiated the approach phase (either via left MCDU or over flying the deceleration point) it will always go back to 250 knots. 

So either wait with pushing the knob back in until you have over flown the declaration point or initiate the approach phase manually on the PERF page of the left MCDU. 

• Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

Archived