DESC PREP CL - CRZ LVL below TRANSALT

MarkrB

Are any other bus drivers having this issue?

When flying below the US transition altitude of 18,000 ft the copilot is changing the barometer to STD as part of the checklist. Today she did it at 6000 ft with a baro of 29.21 which sent the bus into a sudden dive. I can't remember this ever happening before SP3.

I can deal with her constantly repeating "Set baro reference Capt" ever time we land but now she's becoming dangerous!

I'm on a fresh install of P3D 2.5 with no other add ons and have installed hot fix C onto SP3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Europe the transition altitude can often be at 5000, 6000 an 7000ft. I think the Airbus is picking this altitude from the airac installed. Was your flight in USA? Anyway, setting Baro to STD at 6000ft should not lead to a dive. I have never seen that and most of my flights are in Europe.

Yes I am flying in the U.S. I'm generally not putting anything in the transition altitude box on the landing page so I will check that and see if that's the cause. I just find it odd that it did not exhibit this behavior prior to SP3 for me.

As far as the dive try setting your barometer to 29.21 and then pull the std button at 6000 ft in auto flight and see what happens.

OK, I just tried multiple tests of the same flight and can confirm that even with the transition altitude set in the MCDU at 18,000 ft the copilot still sets the altimeter to STD during the descent checklist causing a dive and alarms. I can't help but think this is a bug.

Anybody else seeing this?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Mark,

please send me your flight details resp. your flight plan so that I am able to reproduce the issue......Also I need the CRZ LVL at which point you started your descent and at which ALT the Copilot sets the altimeter back to STD....... The problem is that I do not 100% get your point. You are writing that it happens during the DESCENT CL: This means after initiating descent and passing 18.000 feet the copilot sets the pressure to the actual value and later (at which ALT?) back to STD?

Regards,

Rolf

Rolf,

This is happening after the descent preparation checklist prior to initiating the actual descent. The flight is a very short hop between KMWH to KYKM at an altitude of 6000 ft. Not a realistic route but it seems to work well for a quick systems test after a service pack or hotfix. After reaching cruise the descent preparation checklist then runs and every time the barometer gets set to STD even though I'm below the U.S. transition altitude of 18,000 ft. Obviously when flying at 29.92 (1013) this doesn't cause any real issues but in stormy weather at 29.21 the autopilot responds to the sudden barometer change by diving to maintain 6000 ft at the new barometer setting. It can be easily replicated by flying a U.S. route below 18,000 ft and choosing the "building storms" weather setting in P3D with checklists and copilot turned on.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Mark,

you are right. during the DESC PREP CL the Copilot should not set the QNH to STD if your CRZ LVL is below TRANSALT. But this is a very unrealistic situation that your CRZ LVL is below TRANS ALT. Therefore until now nobody reported this issue. I will check if we are still able to solve this problem before closing the project. But there are several workarounds (which are unrealistic as well) and please use those for the time being.

Regards,

Rolf

• 6 months later...
  • Hanse unpinned this topic

Archived