Civilian Airports Navigation

Top Jockey

Hello again,

I'm very noob at the Navigation chapter (even after printing and reading that manual, and reading here in the forum), so I would apreciate your help please.

So far I've managed to get TACAN and / or ILS Needles indications working fine in the Carriers, but I don't quite understand how some things work.

However I don't know how to get any of those things working in civilian airports.

Let's say, I'm flying my F-14 from some Carrier at the East Coast sea, and I want to land at " Newark International Airport ", or " Laguardia International Airport ", etc, my doubts are:

- Can I have some TACAN, symbol; indication; something; for civilian airports ?

- Can I have ILS Needles for civilian airports ?

- I'm going to need NAV1 frequencies, or TACAN chanels for civilian airports ?

- Where can I find them ?

Thank you.

Hello again,

I'm very noob at the Navigation chapter (even after printing and reading that manual, and reading here in the forum), so I would apreciate your help please.

So far I've managed to get TACAN and / or ILS Needles indications working fine in the Carriers, but I don't quite understand how some things work.

However I don't know how to get any of those things working in civilian airports.

Let's say, I'm flying my F-14 from some Carrier at the East Coast sea, and I want to land at " Newark International Airport ", or " Laguardia International Airport ", etc, my doubts are:

- Where can I find them ?

Thank you.

Hey Top Jockey,

The following video is a little over 47 minutes long, but it has lots of info on navigation tools in the F-14x. Later in the video,it goes into using them to navigate off a standard FSX flight plan.

Hope it helps. :)

Hello Thrakazog, thank you!

I've been reading and experimenting until now, and so far I've understood that it's necessary to put the respective VOR freq. at the radio NAV1 stack...

I will see your video right away!

Hello people.

I've managed to get some things right regarding to VOR / TACAN navigation in civil airports, but still I would appreciate more insight form you all, on how to do it.

Thank you.

What other info do you need? The above tutorial by "richt481" is good enough to get you started on basic navigation.

Hello Victory103,

Sorry my late reply, I haven't been here for a while.

The basic info i already found was mainly by searching for tutorials on google (not always related with the F-14, but general FRSX ones.)

The info was related to the following questions:

" Let's say, I'm flying my F-14 from some Carrier at the East Coast sea, and I want to land at " Newark International Airport ", or " Laguardia International Airport ", etc, my doubts are:

- Where can I find them ? "

In your Vol 5 "Avionics" page 23 will get you started on TACAN and the VOR frequency reference will show your the paring between TACAN channels and VOR VHF freqs. When you tune the TACAN you are automatically tuning the NAV1. Likewise you can use the 2D pop-up for the FS default radio stack, tune your known freq and the TACAN channel will change. Ideally you would have the proper charts on board (paper or electronic), in this case you can you either use the FSX menu map or the 2D pop-up for the stock GPS500.

If you are just joining the FS community, the included stock tutorials/FSX missions would be a better place to learn the basics with the Cessna 172.

In your Vol 5 "Avionics" page 23 will get you started on TACAN and the VOR frequency reference will show your the paring between TACAN channels and VOR VHF freqs. When you tune the TACAN you are automatically tuning the NAV1. Likewise you can use the 2D pop-up for the FS default radio stack, tune your known freq and the TACAN channel will change. Ideally you would have the proper charts on board (paper or electronic), in this case you can you either use the FSX menu map or the 2D pop-up for the stock GPS500.

If you are just joining the FS community, the included stock tutorials/FSX missions would be a better place to learn the basics with the Cessna 172.

Thank you for your time.

Yes, I did read the Vol 5 Avionics, however i din't know some basic stuf at that time.

Like for instance: COM radio is one thing, and NAV radio is another... much less how to correctly dial the VOR needles on its respective display.

I've also trainning with the tutorials and watching others on youtube.

Thank you for your tips!

Regards.

Archived