[PAINTKIT] Straight lines from my 2d texture not appear straight on model

Straight lines from my 2d texture not appear straight on the model

THIS IS NOT A BUG, but a feature of our universe!

As I was frequently arrived with this issue from repainters here a copy of an answer about that topic to a repainter. This should cover the whole topic:

The issue you encounter roots in the relationship between euclidean space and a two dimensional representation of that space.

Pilots know this in their navigational department as "geodesic". So when they fly a long range track of several thousand kilometers (and maybe passengers here have witnessed this on the entertainment screens), you will never see a straight line flown on the 2d map, but ever a curve. But back in 3d Space it will be the direct and straight way. Confusing or? But only when you hear about it the first time.

For further reading i recommend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesic

In the case of the realworld flights in needs some thousands of kilometers to make the curvature obvious, as the curvature of earth brings only around 5 meters height difference per 8 km distance with it. But in case of our model the assymetrical curvature is very high already in a space of some meters. And thats why as the difference of assymetrical curvature gets extremer and extremer to the tail end of the airbus you need to bow your lines an according opposite way to neutralize the bow. A tool that comes to hand for the measure is Photoshops Spline painting tool. It enables you to create curved filled areas, so not by control of each pixel point of the curve (like hand drawing),

but with the control of handles at the end points of the curve. So adjustment of the curve flow is a matter a seconds. I recommend again usage of Arno´s (FS Developers) Model Converter X to more fast reload the painted results and so cross check what you have done. That saves you time compared to have restarted the whole sim anytime and you can easily rotate around the aircraft. The perfect way would be for sure a full blown preview editor which is common for example in DCS, Lock ON and IL2 sims. But that still lacks in FSX or Prepar3D. We hope here too, that such a thing is soon added to the tool list and will make work for anyone easier.

Archived