FS2004 addons will be obsolet in the FS X ?

Paulo Laport

Dear Mathijs Kok,

Thanks for your infos about Aerosoft update products.

In fact most are very superior in incomparition to others addons suppliers.

I have at least in my FS9 more than 40 complex addons. Basicaly the fs2004 is a warp plataform to run (?) all those supperb softers, which gives more realism to the obsolet microsoft fs2004, even when it was launched in the market.

The FS2004 Microsoft Support finnaly answer me by e-mail that is true about the bugs and its innefient capacity to perform as Microsoft wrongly annouced during all those years.

I have here the last hardware systems avaible in the market to run any sort of simulation programs. Through this constatation, the addons are primordial to give us more dynamic and realism to flight simulations.

My question is if those softers will still work with the new FS X.

In October the FS X will be lauched in the market and are now avaible to comand it in advance, but my main preocupation is about the addons.

To continue to buy your pruducts shall I keep for ever the warp FS2004?

Best wiches,

Paulo Laport

• Aerosoft
Dear Mathijs Kok,

Thanks for your infos about Aerosoft update products.

In fact most are very superior in incomparition to others addons suppliers.

I have at least in my FS9 more than 40 complex addons. Basicaly the fs2004 is a warp plataform to run (?) all those supperb softers, which gives more realism to the obsolet microsoft fs2004, even when it was launched in the market.

The FS2004 Microsoft Support finnaly answer me by e-mail that is true about the bugs and its innefient capacity to perform as Microsoft wrongly annouced during all those years.

I have here the last hardware systems avaible in the market to run any sort of simulation programs. Through this constatation, the addons are primordial to give us more dynamic and realism to flight simulations.

My question is if those softers will still work with the new FS X.

In October the FS X will be lauched in the market and are now avaible to comand it in advance, but my main preocupation is about the addons.

To continue to buy your pruducts shall I keep for ever the warp FS2004?

Best wiches,

Paulo Laport

Paulo, this is the question we all feared would come up this clear sooner or later. What I can answer you is limited by either our own ideas on the market and NDA's by other companies. I am just not able to tell you all I know. Please accept that at this moment. ANY company that tells you their software is FSx compatible is either not telling the truth or breaking an NDA. It just CAN NOT be said, if only because there is no FSx final version yet. Any respectable company can only tell you what I can tell you now. That's a solid 'what to avoid' guide btw.

BUT Microsoft made it very clear that they intend to backwards support anything that is created according to the SDK's (and that covers most of what we done internally). And it is also public knowledge that MS is very much working to provide backwards support for as much as possible.

What I can tell you is that everything that we released in 2006 is intended to be upgraded to FSx. That is something else then 'make it work in Fsx'. It means that we intend to change the code so that at least some of the new features of FSx will be used. For products older then that things become less clear. We certainly intend to upgrade some products like the Seahawk/Jayhawk, A10 etc. They have all been designed with a more capable version of FS in mind. What you bought is NOT what was designed, it was just what FS could handle or the compilers could compile. For example, both the A10 and the Seahawk are limited in the fact the compilers will not compile models with more details, it is literally as complex as Fs2004 will handle.

Other products like the PMDG and Digital Aviation aircraft can also be expected to be updated, older aircraft are sure to be made compatible. Scenery is more complex as it is more modeling then programming. Making these things work in FSx will probably not be hard, but making them use all features of FSx will be harder and more expensive. We need to look at each product to see if the gain is worthwhile and commercially possible. But most scenery will be made at least compatible.

Some products will be dropped, they are just too old, commercially not important any more. Keep in mind that making the upgrade costs money and somebody has to pay for it. But Aerosoft has without any doubt one of the best records in handling these issues. After all, this might be the first FS update for many companies around, this is the fourth one for us. We have been there before. We understand how customers are careful buying things around this time and we adapt our releases/prices to that. To be blunt, we have money in the bank to survive this period. But in fact sales (certainly online) are very good and that is a clear sign customers pick up on the fact Aerosoft is big and solid. We can not afford to mess up these transitions. I fully agree with your idea that FS is a 'Operating System' to run software on and any OS update is hard and painful. But we started planning for FSx summer last year for all our internal projects, for example moving from Gmax to Max, deleting a lot of potential issues.

But if you ask me details, I can not give you any. Anybody who tells you they will be FSx compatible or worse, promises free FSx updates, is either selling very simple products (nothing wrong with that of course), or is telling you something they just can not proof right now. We'll only say we intend to upgrade most, some for free, some low cost and that the degree up upgrade will vary from 'make it work' to a almost completely new product.

Now for some GOOD news, lol. FSx give us a lot more options, for example the videos released clearly show a more interactive simulator and that is something a lot of our products will benifit from. Think about the Coast Guard product just released. Clearly we got some clear ideas on how to use the cutter, helicopter and sinking yacht in a more interactive way. And clearly the Bremen scenery released today is designed in such a way that upgrading is possible.

Personally I did not stop buying addons, I just look more careful at what tools are used to make the stuff (anything not Gmax/Max could be problematic), who is selling it and what they are saying. I am also looking for lower prices at this moment.

I am hoping Lukla and EDER (Wasserkuppe) from German Scenery 4 would be upgraded to reflect the higher density of trees and other goodies.

I can't wait for this.

:shock:

:D

Manny

PS: BTW, whoever did the EDER. (Wasserkuppe) is a genius. My compliments.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, finally we are back to the good ol' "will it work on FS-whatever" :evil:

Will my investments in addons (wasn't it a promotional tool by MS stating YES, there are numerous addons that will.......) be down the drain ?

When MS started their 2 year upgrade cycle after FS95 I refrained from buying any more of it (just remember the normal/pro version crap they gave us ?).

I sincerely hope history is NOT going to repeat itself here !!!!!!!! :x

Cheers

Carsten

• Aerosoft
Well, finally we are back to the good ol' "will it work on FS-whatever" :evil:

Will my investments in addons (wasn't it a promotional tool by MS stating YES, there are numerous addons that will.......) be down the drain ?

When MS started their 2 year upgrade cycle after FS95 I refrained from buying any more of it (just remember the normal/pro version crap they gave us ?).

I sincerely hope history is NOT going to repeat itself here !!!!!!!! :x

Cheers

Carsten

Not sure what you are hoping for me to say? That all products would be made to work in FSx without charge? That we will UPGRADE (meaning having serious new features for FSx only) for a low cost? All based on what is at best a beta/demo from FSx?

Sorry can't do that, would not be honest. No matter what others will tell you we will not promise anything serious like that until we see the RC of FSx. That's not how we deal with customers.

Mathijs,

I wasn't talking about you or aerosoft, rather than about Microsoft ;)

I highly respect your company's business attitude displayed both HERE as with your programs.

Let's just face it: If MS is bringing out new versions - that are not compatible to former versions - on too fast of a schedule, it will put more strain upon the developers of addons. Building a new version from scratch is a timely and therefore costly affair. The addon market for FS has barely been as plentiful before and that is due to the fairly well established platform (FS2002/4).

I have no problems sticking to fs2004 for a while :P

Regards

Carsten

• Aerosoft
Mathijs,

I wasn't talking about you or aerosoft, rather than about Microsoft ;)

I highly respect your company's business attitude displayed both HERE as with your programs.

Let's just face it: If MS is bringing out new versions - that are not compatible to former versions - on too fast of a schedule, it will put more strain upon the developers of addons. Building a new version from scratch is a timely and therefore costly affair. The addon market for FS has barely been as plentiful before and that is due to the fairly well established platform (FS2002/4).

I have no problems sticking to fs2004 for a while :P

Regards

Carsten

Well, as we all seen in the FSx demo, the step up is a big one. As big as FS4 to the first windows version mainly because the unused potential a lot of us have in memory and GPU power is finally used. FS used to be CPU limited, but the new version will be GPU limited in many ways. That allows a huge step in level of detail, a step many people will not realize until they see FSx on a machine that will be middle of the road in 12 months time.

There will be a lot of moaning about speed for sure, but when we all realize that FS is to be treated like any other high end game, this will pass. We had it with FS4, Fs2000 and to a small extend in FS2004. FSx allows an almost unlimited expansion, the only limit will be YOUR hardware, not the sim. That is a major step. We feel FS2004 will die very soon, certainly commercially.

Let me buy some hardware stock real quick LOL

The question still remains: Flightsimming is a hobby - and should remain one unless being in a position like yours <BG> - therefore the question should be allowed if one actually has to be on the forefront of technology (hardwarebased) to be able to enjoy such ?!

Personally - being a tech geek anyhow - I should face no problems (GF7950) dual-core cpu etc, BUT.........

I guess it all boils down to the good ol' "how much is it worth" and looking at myself (and IMHO most other simmers on forums) I assume that you are right with your assumptions.

Nevertherless I still have a foul taste in my mouth saying that LMAO

Kind regards

Carsten (on behalf of myself) LOL

• Aerosoft
Let me buy some hardware stock real quick LOL

The question still remains: Flightsimming is a hobby - and should remain one unless being in a position like yours <BG> - therefore the question should be allowed if one actually has to be on the forefront of technology (hardwarebased) to be able to enjoy such ?!

Personally - being a tech geek anyhow - I should face no problems (GF7950) dual-core cpu etc, BUT.........

I guess it all boils down to the good ol' "how much is it worth" and looking at myself (and IMHO most other simmers on forums) I assume that you are right with your assumptions.

Nevertherless I still have a foul taste in my mouth saying that LMAO

Kind regards

Carsten (on behalf of myself) LOL

Okay, good points... I know simmers who would not care less about the very cool new water effects and the way objects reflect in that water. They care about flightmodels, fuel burn at fl 420 and the like. Clearly FSx moves towards the more visually attractive site of simming. Dare I say it? Yes I do, more towards the gaming side of FS. The missions really promise to open a whole new side of FS.

I have written it at least 3 times here, but the biggest kick in FS I had in FS2 when we flew from London to Paris and after a lot of trouble we saw a huge solid grey polygon and we KNEW it was Paris. Not a single object, just a huge square polygon. Simming is tricking your mind and nothing more. Personally I like my Fs close up and never fly the Pacific. My favorite products are Manhattan, Monaco etc. Scenery you will NEVER see in detail from a airliner. I predict FS2004 will die faster then any version of FS before. People will moan a lot and then buy the hardware.

Hi Simmers

Have you guys installed the FSX demo from Microsoft and tried it.

I will like to hear your impressions.

Below is a screen shot of the FS2004 Bell 412 in FSX

untitledwt5.jpg

Bye

David