Airway altitude restrictions

Occasionally after planning a flight and reviewing the OFP, I notice unusual altitude changes. As an example, my OFP would show me at FL380 and then suddenly a descent to FL280 and then a climb back up to FL380. I suspect it has something to do with airway altitude restrictions? Nevertheless these altitude changes are not exported but I am sure they impact the fuel prediction calculations. I have tried to build the route using AUTO+ and ticking Upper Airspace and Cruise Altitude/FL Restrictions boxes but still get the same result. Is there any way in PFPX to disregard airway altitude restrictions when planning a route?

Hello,

Your question is equivalent to this one : Is there anyway to drive my car in counter direction when I'm in one way street?

Best Regards

Pierre

Are you aware that PFPX allows you to drive your car in "counter direction" in the Advanced Route Finder by ignoring airway directions. So by the same token I am simply asking if it is possible to ignore airway altitude restrictions? Judging by your posts I presume you MUST follow all airway restrictions.

Are you aware that PFPX allows you to drive your car in "counter direction" in the Advanced Route Finder by ignoring airway directions. So by the same token I am simply asking if it is possible to ignore airway altitude restrictions? Judging by your posts I presume you MUST follow all airway restrictions.

Hi, there is a way to get around this, unfortunately I am not near my computer at the moment so I cannot give you the exact steps. But it includes this.

After computing the flight, check the ATC tab and look at the way points where the descent starts and ends, then go to the advanced planning tab and under the section that allows you to set cruise altitude / speed restrictions, select the first drop down of the way point where the descent starts, enter what your cruise altitude should be, then in the second row select the end way post where you climb back up to cruise level, set your cruise level in that, then in the third row, the way point after the second row, select optimum altitude, then recompute the flight.

Sorry I can't make it any clearer at the moment.

Archived