OFP distance mismatch ETOPS ETP

Hi,

seems to be a problem in the OFP regarding the distance from ETP.

They are always 10nm off.

In the ETOPS section the distance from ETP to next waypoint differs by 10nm to the distance

in the waypoint-log.

I marked the relevant sections in the attachment.

Thanks for looking into that!

-mrwody

ofp.pdf

One observation here. The ETP1 / 2 in the NavLog are for cruise altitude / speed, whereas the 1EO and 1EO Decomp assume a descent to a lower altitude and the winds aloft will be different so would result in a different Point. Check the Lat/Lon of the ETP1 for both 1EO and 1EO Decomp and you will see different points. Not sure if this is the reason for the difference. Odd that it is always 10nm diff from the NavLog, but could be a constant speed descent being factored in ????

Hello,

Here is an OFP wich uses etops.

As you can see there is no 10 nm difference because a constant speed descent is took into account.

I think someone as Doug could give you a better answer as he is real life dispatcher...

Best Regards

Pierre

Hello,

thank you Pierre and thank you Bruce!

I'm still not quite sure, why it is exactly 10nm in every case, but I guess your hints might be right.

Perhaps someone can explain it to me :-)

Thank you and best regards,

Constantin

Hello Constantin,

The scenario kept into account in ETP calculation is always the most critical, which is 1EO + depress situation.

As explained in the so good Belisar Hoxholli document part 2, this is that point which will be entered into the FMC as ETP.

If depressurisation scenario occurs with all or with 1EO, the captain will have to as quickly as he can descent to FL100 for oxygen supply.
The ETP entered into FMC will be good for both case.

If just 1EO scenario occurs in flight, the captain have to reduce thurst to reach minimum drag speed for the actual cruise altitude.(Driftdown speed).

The aircraft will descent at the best rate and fuel efficiency to the altitude at which the driftdown speed becomes the optimal speed because the air density has increases during descent and by the way increases the lift.

Hope this help

Pierre

Hello Pierre,

thank you for your explanations, helps really. I did read the 2 excellent ETOPS manuals but the exactly 10nm off consufed me :)

Thank you and best regards,

Constantin

Archived