Limitations on VATSIM FP length

Hi Christian,

Apparently there is a restriction of around 100 characters to the length of a FP acceptable to VATSIM. Over the last few years, this has caused me many problems of being disconnected from VATSIM and for my flight details from VATSIM to show blank destinations, speeds, altitudes and/or positions.

PFPX creates VATSIM FPs of lengths in excess of the VATSIM limit, particularly for long flights. Only today, after further investigations with a local friend have we found the root cause of my problems to lie in the length of the FPs. We have found that by deleting all of the contents of the FP Comments box the FP is accepted by VATSIM.

In discussion with the duty EGLL_S_TWR controller (C3 Dave Saunders 818672) today, he texted me "100 characters - lol could have told you that earlier, this is a VATSIM problem. This includes route and remarks and all other info callsign aircraft type. Not sure where it is laid down to be honest, I just know its limited to I believe 100 characters but not far off that."

May I ask you to work with VATSIM to resolve this issue and, in the meantime, to provide PFPX users with some guidance in this area?

I wonder why I have been unable to find others with this problem posting in either this forum or a VATSIM forum?

Many thanks, Richard McDonald Woods

Norman,

Can you confirm the character limit in the route field as well please? I had the same problem as Richard did many times. I ended up with deleting the entire flightplan remarks and still not being able to prefile it do to the route being too long. This is especially the case with long haul flights on VATSIM

I'm not sure if this applies to a VATSIM Flight Plan but the SquawkBox 3 User Manual limits the Route to 250 characters and the Remarks to 100 characters.

Archived