Check List ideas?

Hangar200

Background: I recently planed a round trip flight from a small Alaskan airfield to a frozen lake and back. The general idea is delivering supplies to a remote location only serviceable in winter when the lake is frozen. An idea I got from "Ice Pilots NWT" - they used a DC-3 with skis. I only made half the flight. Aerosoft has done it again - developing a plane that you must operate by the numbers - amazing! :)

Unfortunately, there is no operating procedure / check list for what I was doing.

After a safe landing on the frozen lake, I shut down the left engine to facilitate the cargo unloading since I was using the passenger door (left side) - safety, etc . I kept the right engine running as a precaution, to keep power to the plane, keep the heat and anti-ice going (2 deg C), etc.

That was the "simulated reason I didn't do a full shut down - the real reason is a bug in the FSX logging system that, if you shut down engines, it will log the entire there-and-back as two flights but log the total flight time of both flights in the second flight - in other words it double counts flight hours.

Issue: There is no specify check list procedure for this. I made up my own procedure based on the normal starting engines procedure:

Fuel Lever (L) - OFF

Prop Lever (L) - FEATHER

(since brakes don't work on ice, and since the R engine was feathered, I didn't want to ground loop on start up)

Power Lever (L) - Idle

Boost Pump FWD & AFT - ON (stil on)

Start Switch - LEFT ENGINE

Fuel Lever (L) - ON (Ng>12%)

At this point the left engine caught fire.

I went through an ad hoc emergency procedure (as there are only normal procedures in the documentation) - pulled the fire handle, cut fuel at the fire wall, left fuel lever to OFF - it worked. But now I'm sitting on a frozen lake with a dead engine - the flight was over - I shut the right engine normally.

Obviously a "hot start" somehow.

The only thing I can think of is that the fuel boost pumps running the whole time the plane was being unloaded (few minutes). In the systems manual it explains that with the fuel selector set to Normal there is no cross feed. So perhaps I should have shut down the AFT Booster Pump as it feeds the left engine when I shut down the left engine. However, the Left Fuel Lever was set to cut off I thought it shouldn't have mattered.

Any ideas?

Regards, Hangar 200

The only way to trigger a hotstart is to set the fuel lever on below 12% Ng.

Better let it spool up above 15% next time, just to be safe.

Finn

Thanks Finn. Now that you mention it I think I did set the fuel lever on too early - I'll keep a closer eye on the Ng gauge next time.

Again - fantastic, albeit unforgiving - engine simulation. Which reminds me - any thought to adding a couple of Emergency Procedures to the check lists?

Regards, Hangar 200

Archived