question PFPX OFP abbreviations

hi there,

I would appreciate it if somebody could explain to me(and to many other people) these abbreviations taken from the PFPX operating flight plan (OFP) section:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post-83714-0-99325100-1378078173_thumb.p

(Left screenshot is from the OFP, right screenshot from the loadsheet; not the same flight)

1. First of all, is there any difference between ZFW and ZFM ? i know it is weight and mass, but what does this mean? Any short Explanation?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post-83714-0-31463300-1378077689_thumb.p

2. BDRY ?

3. MORA ?

4. AVTT ?

5. ETO/ATO/RF/FU ?

I am flying with the Air Berlin OFP Template 1.0.0 (uploaded by Patrick1246) if this helps.

Thanks for your answers!

Cheers from Southern Germany

1. Seems like a good guess they are the same. How about using the pfpx template and BER template on the same flight plan to verify?

2. Boundary... Not sure if it means you're inside the specified region or if you're crossing into it or out of it to/from another region.

3. Minimum off route altitude.... Basically about terrain clearance.

4. AVTT not sure but looking at your picture and the values in the column, seems to be the course of the flight for the legs shown.

5. Estimated/Actual time of operation. Remaining Fuel. Fuel Used.

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 1 month later...

Hey pilots,

regarding ZFW and ZFM - scientists wouldn't be very happy if you claim mass and weight to be the same

Weight equals Mass times Acceleration - so if you are in an unaccelerated condition (on ground, or while cruising - 1G - n=1) it is the same becuase acceleration equals 1.

But we are talking about aviation and the particular meaning in this flight briefing - so for us it is the same. What you finaly use depends on where you are on earth and what your operations manual tells you to do. In my eyes most guys playing flight simulator use weight because Mr. Boeing says weight and flight simulator originates from america, where they talk about weights.

You have to know the difference if you would like to become a pilot - at least in europe ;)

Reagarding MORA - there is a nice and correct eplanation on Wikipedia. Also MEA, MAA, MOCA and many other aviation stuff :)

AVTT - Right it's the average true track, so the true track you fly in the midle of the two points. Your track is constantly changing because you fly great circle tracks between each waypoint. If you would pick up the AVTT (variation assumed to be zero) you would follow a rhumb line to your next waypoint - on short distances and low latitudes there is no big difference, but it only works with the AVTT not with the initial true track, because at midpoint great circle true track and Rhumb line track are the same.

Robb I don't like to contradict you with ETO and ATO because I'm not really sure myself, but I allways thought it means estimated and actual time overhead - because it is the time you actually are and expect to be overhead a waypoint.

Lets say you are overhead WP1 at 1600Z and your EET (estimated enroute time) from WP1 to WP2 is 30 minutes.

So you would take youre pen when overhead WP1 and write ATO at WP1 1600 and ETO at WP2 1630, if your actual ground speed differs from the planned GS thats the way to find out - but always stick to your planning if ATO at WP2 is now 1625 (you obviously have a higher GS then expected) ETO at WP3 would be 1625 (ATO at WP2) plus EET between WP2 and WP3.

Fuel remaining is used for fuel checks (normaly everey 30 minutes) and fuel used... don't ask me - at this point it's nonsense ;) It makes sense if we are talking about minimum fuel remaining and fuel used, which offers us the possibility to see if our fuel consumtion matches our expectations and minimum fuel remaining tells us if we are safe to continue.

Allways three greens!!!

Falk

Archived