help me pick out a laptop

I'm choosing between the new Sony Vaio Fit line of laptops with the thought of running FSX Airbus X extended on it. Basically I'm choosing between two very similar laptops:

Sony Vaio Fit 15

display: full HD

3rd gen Intel® Core i5-3337U (1.80GHz / 2.70GHz3 with Turbo Boost1)

RAM: 4GB (4GB x1) DDR3L-1600MHz5

Nvidia GeForce GT735M (2GB)

versus

Sony Vaio Fit 14

Display: 1600 x 900

3rd gen Intel® Core i7-3537U (2.00GHz / 3.10GHz with Turbo Boost)

RAM: 8GB (4GB x2) DDR3L-1600MHz

Nvidia GeForce GT735M (2GB)

Basically one is full HD but lower specs, the other has higher specs but screen is not as good. Both of these laptops are of thesame price. I'm leaning towards the Fit 15 because it has a full HD screen - but then it has lower specs. Would I be able to run Airbus X smoothly on a laptop with these specs? If yes, about how's the framerates? input from people with similarly speced laptops would be very much welcome.

Thanks!

Full HD means it has a screen resolution of at least 1920 x 1080 pixels, wich is logical because this laptop also has a bigger screen (15 inch). But a higher resolution also means the laptop has to work harder to produce a good graphical product.

Therefor my advice would be the second laptop. That one has a smaller screen (14 inch), wich does not only mean it has to work less hard on the graphics (and thus leaving more computing capacity for other things) but also it's more efficient on the batteries. A larger screen consumes more power than a smaller screen. And because the screen is smaller you hardly notice it has a lower resolution.

The specifications of the first laptop are suitable for FS and most add-ons, but the question remains for how long. While technology makes progress software will become heavier, so to be ready for the future it would be wise to choose a powerful configuration that can not only run todays products but that's also ready for tomorrow.

Neither, laptops aren't designed to run FSX with complex addons. Plus Sony's after care is abysmal, also their master images for Windows 8 are worse that poor - filled up with so much bloatware. Which of course is a royal PITA as they don't come with a Windows 8 disc so you can't do A fresh install of Win 8. Add to that, their drivers for Firmware Extension Parser Device Driver and the Intel Chipset driver won't install from the exe files available on Sony's support website. You will need a tool to extract the drivers then manually install them through device manager.

So in short, good luck with a Sony laptop. For the same money you would be far better going with a "gaming laptop", though steer clear of Alien Ware, they really are built down to a very low price by Dell.

Archived