High altitiude airports and checklists

sampa

Just an observation for those who want to fly in the Andes.

I've recently been flying some routes in Ecuador and have found that my FO gets very confused when operating into and out of high altitude airports like Quito and Tulcan. The 10,000' call usually happens at around 12,000' after flap retraction, the landing checklists are often missed, probably because you can be at 12,000' over the FAF, and she constantly resets the altimeter to a higher value. I've found it much better to fly these routes without the FO and at some airports it's better to fly the approach manually (the NDB approach to 23 at SETU for example) rather than rely on the autoflight system. Manually entered speed restrictions don't seem to be respected and above 10,000' you will be much too fast to get down and aligned in time. However, AXE is very nice to fly manually so it's not a problem.

Have fun

• 3 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Sampa,

with the next release the following changes will be impleneted:

For such airports (< 5.000 feet) the CL functionality will be changed
as
follows:
  • During the CLIMB CL the 10.000 feet call is omitted and the landing lights are switched off by the copilot after the Baro Check at the transition level.
  • During the DESCENT also already at the transition level (< 10.000 feet) the Landing Lights as well as Landing System are set to ON by the copilot.

Hanse

• 2 months later...

Archived