respond. 10 seconds of nothing happening, except flying at full power

and getting irritated.^^

When I fly at half power, engine response is immidiate, even though the

turbines need some time to spool up or down. But at least I see that something

is happening.

Whats wrong?

Thank you! :-)

Hello;

You might also do a Google search,for the Piper Cheyenne flight characteristics,it tells you what you want to no,its just a small passenger plane,not an jet fighter,where you expect immediate throttle responce.Oh yea,I just checked the responce time of the engines,at ground idle,to full power took 7.5 seconds,I guess this will very with different systems.

Mark

Hi Shaun,

thanks for the kind answer. I'll check the manual thoroughly.

Wingnut, I know that the engines are slow. I meant 10s from full power with idle thrustlevers to full power with first engine response.

I dont know what is has to do with spooling time, since a cutoff of fuel should have an immediate effect. But perhaps its all

hidden in the manual :-D

One more question here... where in the manual are you refering to? It just says "dont fly full throttle" and "use

the performance tables". Besides that, the decribed effect is not mentioned there. I know I have to move

the plane within its limits, but it's a simulator, so I use jerky control inputs and try to fly by just feeling the

aircraft. No matter what - I think if I pull the throttle back at full power, something should happen at the

engine controls. Yes, something happens... quickly... after the needles were nailed for 10 seconds.

I think this is a limitation of the simulator, or do you guys are really trying to explain that this is

completly 100% the same in real life? If so, I apologize for my ignorance.

I have a similar problem with the Carenado Bonanza, I can fly it in a tight turn without losing speed

and without exceeding the maximum AoA at maximum steering deflection. But again, perhaps it's

only my perception cause I have never tried that in real life.

Hello;

I just did a Google search for the aircraft,and found that information.Heh,go to the old DA forum,here's the link,it has all kinds of useful information on this aircraft,hopefully it will help;http://www.digital-aviation.de/forum/viewforum.php?f=55&sid=0357a31adff1920861ff5a7d6c7bba5e.

By the way,what kind of system are you running this on,and is it Fsx?

Mark

Everything you describe is not a problem, it's a function of the engine control system used in older generation free turbines. So if you are flying at full power in direct contravention of the instructions, you an expect unfamiliar response to incorrect operation.

The solution is to operate it properly - this takes a bit more time to get to grips with, but ultimately is more rewarding.

• Upvote 1

I know that :-) I just wanted to check how the simulated aircraft behaves if I don't stick to the rules.

One other thing - the turn coordinator. I come out at 2:20 min for a full 360° turn. In the Beech Duke

its even worse, 2:53 min. Whats wrong, another flaw in FSX? How do they want me to do IFR if the instruments

dont work right? Is that another feature? *g* I didnt expect modern simulators to be that limited.

I bought Jeppesen Flitepro in 2000, but it only runs sometimes on Win98 and Win2000. Jeppesen

discontinued it, even though I found it very suitable for IFR training. Then there is Elite 8, but I find

it too expensive. Any other ideas on how to practice IFR training?

• Upvote 1

Hi chechen,

when you check the times in real aircraft you will notice that a 2min turn is rarely an exact 2min turn. The instruments are not too precise, environmental conditions (turbulences) can spoil your turn and YOU have to work very coordinated with rudder, ailerons, elevator and power settings to get there... - basically you have to fly the ball. Banking (and the 2min mark on you turn coordinator) is just one element.

In real life you will also not make a 2min turn in 2 minutes if you just fly by the 2 min mark alone - the better you coordinate your controls the closer you will come to the 2 minutes result and while you are training you can use the same trick that pilots do: check you turn every 15 or 30 seconds and if your turn is too slow, bank harder and/or apply more rudder, if the turn is too fast reduce your bank angle and/or apply less rudder... - never forget: the most essential instruments for aviation are compass and CLOCK...

I have a PPL and know how to step the rudder. :-) I am just surprised by the high

deviation of the turn coordinatior. It's almost three minutes in the Turbine Duke,

something is definitly wrong there. Still I couldnt even find a maximum allowed tolerance

in the FAR-AIM, maybe I look at the wrong place?

Is there any way of editing the gauge so it will be more responsive?

No.

But how are you measuring the elapsed time? Inside the sim, or externally? I don't have the Cheyenne installed at present, but the Turbine Duke did a 2.10 SRT not three minutes, using the internal timer.

Hi chechen

I did a check flight with the Cheyenne today and circled three times at 150kts in 5.000ft altitude using an external timer and finished a full circle between 2:07min and 2:18min, which is pretty close to what other planes do - as I found out later.

When I compared these times with other aircraft (Katana 4x, several Carenado planes) I realized that turn times with the FSX seem to be on the slow side in general. In real life I tend to do my circling a bit faster than the standard (not much but rather in 1:50 to 1:55mins than 2:05 or 2:10mins).

With FSX I seem to be a bit more relaxed as I never turned faster than in 2:00mins - not completely off but rather in the 2:10mins area when watching the instruments (and not the timer).

I don't own the Duke so can't give you any numbers here but it seems that it is a bit more challenging to fly to the books with the FSX than in real life but again: real life means adaptation to external influences, too - not to speak of imperfect instrumentation...

Happy landings,

I checked the Turbine Duke - 4500 ft, 200 kts - 2:55 at 23° bank., left and right turns.

Correct bank would be (speed/10 + 7) 27°, but that does not accelerate the turn

much. Used external timer, still internal and external timer don't differ.

I will check the Cheyenne tomorrow.

This would suggest something is amiss with the setup and response to flight modelling (usually caused by improper use of external frame rate limiters or bonkers mods to the FSX.cfg) or, given the consistency, something to do with the actual FSX installation assuming we have ruled out pilot error.

FWIW, I subsequently flew another three SRT's in the Turbine Duke and got consistently 2.05-2.15, going both clockwise and counter-clockwise - figures which are so close to EDNR's that one must assume the inconsistency is at your end. Supply full systems specs including FS hardware.

Hm, my fsx.cfg may be messed up. I used the bojote tool to increase framerates and I dont have a working backup here.

Its a dual core Athlon 5200, 2GB RAM, ATI 6750 graphic card. Frames locked at 30 fps with the internal limiter.