Madeira X runway transparent with black rectangles

paj

Hi,

I just purchased and installed Madeira 1.01 for FSX but I have encountered a problem: the concrete extension prior to runway 23 is transparent (the pillars beneath the runway are visible from above) and there are two large black rectangles (as though a texture is missing).

I've tried reinstalling Madeira with no effect.

I've attached a screenshot below.

(Also, when traveling along the runway there is some slight bleed-through of the base runway texture at the eastern end - but not for the central or western ends. This is not a big concern to me - but the transparency and black rectangles are a significant problem)

I think the mesh and other elements of the scenery are ok in my installation.

Thanks for any suggestions and assistance.

Peter.

post-46239-0-12053200-1317045287_thumb.j

Hmm - I have also discovered missing transparency on the plant textures at the LPMA terminal. Hardly a big problem... but I wonder if its related to the issue with my runway? Compare my installation in the attached picture to that on AeroSoft's web site here.

post-46239-0-28846100-1317047914_thumb.j

I just tried another uninstall/reinstall of Madeira X - and the transparent runway and black rectangle problem is now fixed!!! :confused_s:

Although the plants still have a black background as shown above (anyone?). I'm not using DX10 Preview mode nor ground shadows....

But at least my major problem is resolved. It's perplexing why another reinstall would suddenly fix my problem....

Ok - I'm getting a better handle on the transparent runway / black rectangle problem....

...reinstalling Madeira did NOT fix the problem. Rather the root cause was the mode selected in FTXCentral (the Orbx tool for switching scenery regions).

I have never had a FTXCentral-related problem with any other Aerosoft/FSDT/FlyTampa/FlightBeam/UK2000 scenery. I wonder which files Madeira X requires that make it so sensitive to changes made by FTXCentral?

I've fixed the transparency problem with the plants by editing Madeira X\texture\LPMA_Veg.dds with SDK's ImageTool and resaving with mip levels and verifying the alpha channel.

I presume this file is faulty in the version101 installer?

• Deputy Sheriffs

I think you messed up your installation: When using Orbx products you have to do the following:

1. When installing other products then Orbx, make sure that you have selected "Default FSX" in FTX Central before you install! After that let FSX rebuild its scenery database by starting FSX.

2. When installing Orbx products always make sure you have selected the appropriate region (AU or NA)!

Reason is that Orbx replaces default FSX files while you use any Orbx region.

There is no problem with installer, as I don't see your issues.

Hi Otto,

You are right of course: FTXcentral should be set to "default" when flying outside Australia or North America (or when installing scenery in other regions). And I did install Madeira in FTX Default mode.

But I have never actually needed to switch to Default to have any airport scenery display correctly. All of my airports from the aforementioned companies display fine regardless of FTX mode. To quote FTX "...all FTXCentral does is swap some tree and autogen building textures, lclookup.bgl, terrain.cfg and autogendescriptions.spb - it's a safe bet none of those are used or modified by 99.9% of airport developers".

But Madeira's runway seems to be the exception.

I gather you have Madeira and FTX? If you switch to Australia or NA in FTXCentral and then view the runway at Madiera do you see similar transparency/rectangles on the runway?

Many thanks,

Peter.

• Deputy Sheriffs
I gather you have Madeira and FTX? If you switch to Australia or NA in FTXCentral and then view the runway at Madiera do you see similar transparency/rectangles on the runway?

I didn't check this combination, but I experienced many other issues, even in default FSX scenery like missing lakes and rivers, wrong coastlines and some other anomalies.

Just to add to the bizarreness of the runway transparency & black rectangles...

...I've found that if I go to the "World" menu and select "Scenery Library" and then click OK without making any changes then the rendering of the runway is fixed for the current flight! Why would the act of bringing up the scenery library and clicking OK temporarily fix the scenery display?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Just to add to the bizarreness of the runway transparency & black rectangles...

...I've found that if I go to the "World" menu and select "Scenery Library" and then click OK without making any changes then the rendering of the runway is fixed for the current flight! Why would the act of bringing up the scenery library and clicking OK temporarily fix the scenery display?

After clicking OK, was there a box with a progress bar saying something like "building scenery database"?

Hi Shaun,

Yes - my mesh is set to 5m.

The black rectangles I observed aren't a missing texture as i first thought but are in fact the support columns beneath the runway showing through. So my main problem is a transparent runway surface - most noticeably at the eastern end, but there is also some at the extreme western end.

The transparency is not fixed if I force a scenery refresh by binding a key to this command in the FSX "Controls" menu. But it is temporarily fixed by going to the "World" menu and selecting "Scenery Library" and then clicking OK without making any changes.

• 1 month later...