Speeding up the workshop

Tigerclaw

Hi Marcel,

First of all great plane, like it a lot. I have a few questions however, and I hope you can help me with them.

Is there any way to speed up the workshop functions please? Although I love the realism of this plane, when something goes wrong, I can't afford all the time it takes to repair and maintain the systems. I like to know I've messed up, and I'm prepared to repair what I've damaged, but I'm limited to what time I have on the sim, and I'm not getting enough flying in.

My biggest problem right now is the cleaning of the aircraft. It takes forever, and looking at the cfg file after a really short flight (no more than 20 minutes), the underside of the aircraft is exceptionally high (very, very dirty). It doesn't seem to finish cleaning, and I have to stop the process or I'd never get a flight in.

Second question: Has there been any progress on the carb heat/CHT issue yet?

Third question: In the forums you mentioned a "new feature" quick set up, and show a picture. Mine doesn't look like that, it's all squashed up in the top left of the screen and can't be read. I'm sure that isn't normal. I'm using my monitors default resolution of 1680 x 1050, but it looks like a resolution issue. Can this be edited in a config file anywhere so it's readable to me?

That's all I have for now, any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

I experience the squashed new feature set up, but after re-selecting the aircraft AND the .flt, then saving it again, it was permanently fixed.

The solution to the breakage problem is to fly it so that you don't break it, then you don't have to wait so long to fix the lesser things that need maintaining... If you can't wai then you can always hit the reset button, or choose the non-damage modelling realism selections.

Personally, I love the time to repair, Short of making you actually PAY for the repairs, these are the consequences of improper operation.

And if the underside is dirty, try the wheel fairings...

I do realise that the answer to not waiting for the repairs is not to damage the aircraft in the first place, but unfortunately I'm not a pilot, and although I have a few hours in FSX in "other" aircraft, I obviously haven't learned much. My problems always stem from the icing issue, ultimately causing me to land off field. it's very hard to land without damage up a mountain. I grant you if I was a better pilot I wouldn't have these problems, but until I am, I'd like more time to fly rather than repair.

As for the dirt, my point was it's not getting cleaned no matter how long I spend cleaning it. Once it's dirty, it STAYS dirty. Even if I use wheel fairings now, it still won't be cleaned, and will stay dirty. Or is it supposed to be dirty even when new?

I'll try re-selecting the aircraft etc. and see what happens. Hopefully it will work. When I loaded the Katana today for repair, I didn't even see that screen at all.

In that case just use the reset button - not in the sim, but from the main Windows menu. Once `zero'd` everything will be be fit for purpose, then in the sim choose the non-damaging option and just go fly. Remember, the Katana 4X featrures persistent damage modelling, so unless you fix it, clean it, hug it and squeeze it and call it George you are ALWAYS going to see the same damage on reloading - it is not fixed that way in this aircraft.

The beauty of the Kat 4X is if you don't want to be held responsible, you don't have to be!

I understand what you are saying, I really do. But the reason I bought the Katana in the first place is, I WANT the responsibility of flying her properly, looking after, maintaining, cleaning her, and learning from mistakes. I can get along with that when flying her on my own in free flight, but it really does interfere with flying in multiplayer sessions. I make a mistake, then spend the rest of the session repairing her while everyone else carries on flying the next destination.

Maybe I should just do as you say, and keep resetting until I'm more familiar with her. I don't think that would solve the issue though. Using the "non-damage" option doesn't stop things from going wrong I don't think, it just doesn't "store" it. I believe you still have to manage the systems, so misuse of those systems will still break things. Is that correct? What I mean by that is, running the engine at full RPM and MP will break the engine, not using carb heat correctly will cause loss of power etc. Then those faults have to be dealt with even when using the simple mode, correct?

At the end of the day, I better get my finger out and learn how to fly this bird properly, so I don't have the problems in the first place. I know that. Guess I better read some more books then huh?

I understand what you are saying, I really do. But the reason I bought the Katana in the first place is, I WANT the responsibility of flying her properly, looking after, maintaining, cleaning her, and learning from mistakes. I can get along with that when flying her on my own in free flight, but it really does interfere with flying in multiplayer sessions. I make a mistake, then spend the rest of the session repairing her while everyone else carries on flying the next destination.

Maybe I should just do as you say, and keep resetting until I'm more familiar with her. I don't think that would solve the issue though. Using the "non-damage" option doesn't stop things from going wrong I don't think, it just doesn't "store" it. I believe you still have to manage the systems, so misuse of those systems will still break things. Is that correct? What I mean by that is, running the engine at full RPM and MP will break the engine, not using carb heat correctly will cause loss of power etc. Then those faults have to be dealt with even when using the simple mode, correct?

At the end of the day, I better get my finger out and learn how to fly this bird properly, so I don't have the problems in the first place. I know that. Guess I better read some more books then huh?

I suggest to use the Katana first in simple mode especially if you fly her online. So you can get used to the systems, the numbers etc. If you are familiar with the aircraft try flying realistic offline and after a while get the whole thrill using her realistic in multiplayer. In real flight training there is an instructor who controlls the difficulty so just take your time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The problem mentioned in the above post is now cured with the update to 1.02. Not the maintenance time, but the lack of power. All sorted and flies like a dream. I don't need simple mode :grouprespect_s: