Norton Antivirus and AES212

• Aerosoft

There is one PC Windows security products that our support staff hates and that's Norton. Right now it might tell you that AEShelp (as part of the latest AES 2.12 version) is a potential threat to your system.

Of course this is a false positive and there is no problem. But Norton has a large history of causing these issues with software from smaller companies. Even worse, when we complain they say it is inevitable, the choice of the users and they got to err on the side of caution. They 'might' remove the issue in the next definition files. In contrast, other producers are quick to react, they often apologize to us. So if you use Norton and see this:

post-43-0-89213400-1310556254.png

Ignore it and let Norton know they are wrong. If you want our advise on anti viral software, take a look at Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, offers more then enough protection, has a very low impact on your system and we never had any issue with it.

I did not see this advice before I asked for help with 2.12 installation in FSX win 7. My Norton did not protest during installation but I opened Norton Internet Security and found Norton has stolen aeshelp.exe, so I was able to restore the new aeshlp.exe file.

• Aerosoft

I did not see this advice before I asked for help with 2.12 installation in FSX win 7. My Norton did not protest during installation but I opened Norton Internet Security and found Norton has stolen aeshelp.exe, so I was able to restore the new aeshlp.exe file.

Why anybody would use a virus protection tool that removes files without asking the user always amazed me. I find that totally unacceptable behavior.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Why anybody would use a virus protection tool that removes files without asking the user always amazed me. I find that totally unacceptable behavior.

Typical user error, as NIS always reports when a suspicious file has been detected and removed. ;)

• Aerosoft

Typical user error, as NIS always reports when a suspicious file has been detected and removed. ;)

Yes but only AFTER it has done so. In this case it removes an important and 100% safe bit of software without asking the customer (using default settings). We now talked to Norton and as expected they say it is collateral damage and stuff happens. As Norton users agree to software behaving like that we do not even have the option to take legal steps.

Perhaps we should build something in the next AES that prevents NIS from starting and tell Norton that stuff happens. See how they like that.

• Upvote 1

Few things I saw looking from the side: 1. Funny enough, someone in Aerosoft or Mathijs himself uses Norton(I know it's for show and tell purposes, but stilll funny). 2. I strongly recommend McAfee, why would I suggest a realy high payware product? 1st of all it is used in big company's (to connect this to aviation an example is IATA) 2.In the ranks (I do read them when they put them in the newspaper) they are second, who are first? Symantec (producer of Norton (but not Norton as a product) so they can do better, back to McAfee, for me it has been like a smart bodyguard, it looks from the side silently observing everything and if it has suspision it yells and protects, it NEVER has deleted anything without my permission, and never said that trustable software (software I know well myself) is unsecure. Hope it helps.

Few things I saw looking from the side: 1. Funny enough, someone in Aerosoft or Mathijs himself uses Norton(I know it's for show and tell purposes, but stilll funny). 2. I strongly recommend McAfee, why would I suggest a realy high payware product? 1st of all it is used in big company's (to connect this to aviation an example is IATA) 2.In the ranks (I do read them when they put them in the newspaper) they are second, who are first? Symantec (producer of Norton (but not Norton as a product) so they can do better, back to McAfee, for me it has been like a smart bodyguard, it looks from the side silently observing everything and if it has suspision it yells and protects, it NEVER has deleted anything without my permission, and never said that trustable software (software I know well myself) is unsecure. Hope it helps.

They've all got there vices, MaAfee knocked out the buy buttons on the shop in one of its previous incarnations.