Strange FPS drops

crum

Just bought the bird and have a big problem with it (anlike any other addon installed - Duke, Airbus X, JS41).

The most strange thing is that there is some conflict between Katana and Firefox browsing. I have dual-monitor system and run FSX on one of them in windowed mode. Other screen is used for reading, moving maps and so on. But when I run Katana something very strange happens. After plane just loaded FPS are around 30, but if I jump to the secondary screen and start doing any of my common tasks, framrates drop to 1-3 per second. Then, if I close other windows (Firefox especialy!) FPS goes back to 30 again. Same FPS drop happens sometime, when I open Katana's control panel.

At the moment I can fly Katana only in "don't touch anything else mode (and don't breathe!)" only, no browsing, no moving map, no charts... Which is frustrating.

Firefox is the most stable factor of FPS droping. Internet explorer doesn't have such effect. And I know, it sounds freaky...

My system is:

FSX SP2

Win 7 x64

i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz

8 Gb memory

Dual 1920x1280 screens

Every other addon aircrafts work fine and fast without any problems.

My secondary monitor is portret oriented, and I happend to see some applications doesn't like it very much. May be this is case too...

Thanks for the fast reply, Mathijs.

When I go out of maximized window mode, it sometimes helps, but not always and the effect is temporary.

And not-maximized mode for FSX - is not a solution anyway. :mellow:

(I'll try to switch FSX to another screen)

Tested...

If I move FSX to the secondary display there no more FPS drops no matter what I do on the main screen (firefoxing too). Maximized or not doesn't matter to.

But when I move FSX back to the main screen drop down at the same moment. Closed Firefox and FPS jump up again. With non-maximized window (about 15-20% smaller than the actual screen size) work quite stable. But in maximized mode everything else need to be closed to fly normaly.

Just found that if I don't touch the Katana's control panel (Shift + 3) - there are no problems with FPS at all. But if I just press Shift + 3 once - the problems are here!

And the one more nuance. If I open control panel after several minutes of flying around - there no more FPS drops too. But if I open control panel right after flight is loaded, before engine startup and any flying, then something goes wrong very much.

Memory issue? I do not have a multiscreen setup, so it would be impossible for me to test it myself. Perhaps others with multimonitor setups can confirm this behaviour (or not as the case may be). That is the only way to progress.

I guess memory, as Firefox does have a largish additional memory footprint when loading and IE is partially preloaded under Windows, given its closer relationship with explorer. Does anyone know if this is still the case with Windows7?

Anyway, good luck with finding a solution.

Andrew

Hello, Andrew

Thank you for your ideas, but it's not seems to be a memory issue for me. As I said, this problem is happens if I only try to open Katana's control panel right after flight is loaded. And if load flight, start plane and fly for several minutes, I can open control panel without an issue and no matter if Firefox is running or not.

May be it connected to some inner operations Katana's control panel do only while on the ground, I don't know.

But for the moment this issue makes Katana unsable as all of it's best features a stricktly connected to the control panel.

Perhabs your system has problems with the semi transparent windows. Would be worth a try without transparency. Are you able to edit the panel.cfg or shall I do one for you?

Just did it - doesn't help, sorry. :(

Sometimes it just recover by itself and start to work normaly, but ony in rare cases and I cannot catch any logic in it.

"recover" means that FPS drops at first and then go back to normal after 10-20 seconds and no more drops after that.

Please backup the panel.cfg and delete all gauge entries from the window entries (not from the VCP section). If that solves the problem, we have to search in the gauges. If not, we have to search in the windows... :blush:

After some tests have found the solution:

[Window02]

BACKGROUND_COLOR=1,1,1

size_mm=250,1000

window_size_ratio=1.000

windowsize_ratio=1.000

Original value here was 2000. After changing it to 1000 no more FPS drops. All other parameters are left untouched.

That is indeed an error! I corrected the value, thanks for the troubleshooting!

You are welcome! Call me when you will need a beta tester :-)