Max speed flaps

tup61

Somehow I was under the impression that max speed for flaps T/O is 81 and max for LDG is 57. But I just noticed, reading the manuals, that max flaps speed is 81 and the manual doesn't seem to make a difference between T/O and LDG.

The thing is: I am having problems getting to 57 before using LDG... :blush: it's very close to stall speed. But now I think I misinterpreted the normal procedures and that 81 is max flaps speed, period, and that 57 simply is the landing speed. Right...? So... when I reach 81 can I go directly to LDG flaps if I want to? Just want to be sure I'm not doing anything stupid. ;)

Correct. Flaps can be deployed anywhere under the white arc on the ASI (81 kts).

I wouldn't deploy both at once though - there's quite a trim change with second stage deployment and there's more drag than lift with the LDG flaps, so you could get caught out if you lost a lot of airspeed quickly, close to the ground.

Conversely, you can use the LDG setting to really steepen the approach over tall obstacles!