Saving state: what works best for me

tup61

Right now I do it like this and overall it seems to work okay, though not everything is saved as I left it.

1. I made a default flight with the default C172 and the engines running (the basic Ctrl-E). So that's the plane I see when I start FSX.

2. I then created a flight with the Katana and started it. In the options I activeted the Parked status to be forced, because that's how I like to leave my plane.

3. After finishing a flight, I manually park the plane and save the flight (as a normal flight, not default).

4. Next time I want to fly, I start FSX (C172 is on the main menu) and directly load the saved flight. This way I end up in a parked Katana which is almost as it is when I left it.

I say 'almost' because not everything is saved. I did some testing: I saved a flight with...

...one chock not attached: after loading the flight the chock still wasn't there: nice!

...the transponder still on: after loading the flight the transponder was off: pity.

...the red 'chord-like' lock applied: after loading the flight the lock was still there: nice.

Other things I noticed:

- the prop lever isn't fully forward or aft: it's a bit in the middle (no matter where I left it). The first time I managed to load a parked state it was fully aft...

- the fuel shutoff vale was open, while I manually closed it AND while a parked state should have it closed too... (which also happened the first time I managed to load a parked state)

Anyway, even though a few things aren't saved or not applied as they should be in parked state, I can live with this. The plane is cold and dark and partially parked, so to speak. And of course fuel is saved too this way.

Only disadvantage of this method is that if you want to take off from another airport then the one you landed on, you will have to load the saved flight and THEN go to the other airport... This also goes for wanting to fly on another time or in another month... This all should be possible when saving a default flight with the Katana, but that just won't work over here: if I do that, I always get a plane with avionics on etc....

The way the system should work: Shut down the Katana at the end of a flight and put some "parking stuff" at the aircraft, like choks, fixations etc. If one of these objects has been applied at the end of the last flight and you load the aircraft in a situation on ground and without the engine running, the parked mode will be loaded and the fixations etc. will be placed as before. After the first service pack the fuel shut off grip will not be set to closed in that situation, its condition will be saved and loaded too. The propeller lever is placed randomly by now, perhabs I will save that too in future.

The way the system should work: Shut down the Katana at the end of a flight and put some "parking stuff" at the aircraft, like choks, fixations etc. If one of these objects has been applied at the end of the last flight and you load the aircraft in a situation on ground and without the engine running, the parked mode will be loaded and the fixations etc. will be placed as before. After the first service pack the fuel shut off grip will not be set to closed in that situation, its condition will be saved and loaded too. The propeller lever is placed randomly by now, perhabs I will save that too in future.

Ok, cool! Looking forward to all that extra saved stuff. ^_^

One of the nicest things of the Katana is that there is a state in which the radio's etc. are OFF when you enter the cockpit... Somehow other devs just couldn't get that done, which always annoyed me a LOT. Don't know why, really, but it did :P Guess it spoils the idea of really being there if some sort of unseen ghost switches things on and off... I don't really mind if the on or off situation of a transponder isn't actually saved, but I do like it that it can be loaded in an off state! When I turn everything off manualy after a flight I simply set things up in such a way that I know will be exactly like the automatic parked mode: that way it seems as if everything is saved as I left it... -_- In other planes I had to leave the radio's on in order to have the same state the next time... terrible. I am always looking forward to turning the radio's on the Katana...! :P

Another thing I really dig is the key which is hanging in the cockpit. Love that. Man, there really is so much I like in this plane that I could talk about it for hours. Yes, this plane really is a dream come true!!! (Mind you, I also like to fly it: I am not ONLY interested in radio's and key's... :D )

Ok, cool! Looking forward to all that extra saved stuff. ^_^

One of the nicest things of the Katana is that there is a state in which the radio's etc. are OFF when you enter the cockpit... Somehow other devs just couldn't get that done, which always annoyed me a LOT. Don't know why, really, but it did :P Guess it spoils the idea of really being there if some sort of unseen ghost switches things on and off... I don't really mind if the on or off situation of a transponder isn't actually saved, but I do like it that it can be loaded in an off state! When I turn everything off manualy after a flight I simply set things up in such a way that I know will be exactly like the automatic parked mode: that way it seems as if everything is saved as I left it... -_- In other planes I had to leave the radio's on in order to have the same state the next time... terrible. I am always looking forward to turning the radio's on the Katana...! :P

Another thing I really dig is the key which is hanging in the cockpit. Love that. Man, there really is so much I like in this plane that I could talk about it for hours. Yes, this plane really is a dream come true!!! (Mind you, I also like to fly it: I am not ONLY interested in radio's and key's... :D )

Have you wiggled the overhead lights yet..?

There's a whole host of `little things` which aren't little things at all:

Rudder pedal adjustment..? What's THAT all about?

Can't get a person in the VC via the payload manager when the control surface lock straps are in the way? Of course you can't, you can't get your legs under the panel...

Losing the fuel cap? I've lost one. I won't lose any more. Ever. Scary. Me learned lesson.

Hoovering the interior? What's that all about? (smell soggy dog, and you know what that's all about..!)

Slamming the lid shut? Like it!

Flapping oil filler cover? Lesson learned...!

All these things remind me of flying a real one... not necessarily directly, as I've never lost a fuel cap on a real Katana, or tried to climb into one with the straps around the controls, or flown one with the oil filler access unfastened. But the caution and extra care IS most definitely reminiscent.

I got a soggy arse one day when stepping into the real one when I inadvertently stepped on the seat off really wet grass and then plonked myself down. I also forgot to latch the passenger side canopy lock and got some very interesting vibrations through the canopy. There's also the tale about degraded take-off performance caused by four-week old mogas, but that's another story... :wacko:

It's all these little things that bring it into sharp relief. :blush:

I changed the propeller lever position to be restored if the aircraft loaded as parked. Additionally there are two more 'parked' conditions and the status can be set when the Katana has been loaded. More information here.