Manhattan X Question

mal998

Hi All,

I just reinstalled Manhattan X into FSX along with both upgrades and I was wondering if the modelers have ever looked closely at pitures of the Empire State Building at night? I was happy to see her lit up at dusk but honestly she does not look anything like your rendition. Seeing as one of the highlights of flying over Manhattan is the ESB, I think she needs to be re-lit to refect a more accurate rendering.

Have a look at the picture I've attached and you'll immediately see what I mean. And BTW there are a number of different colored lights atop the building which enable management to change the color schemes for different events, i.e., on Christmas they light the top of the building in green and red etc.

Quite honestly, IMHO, correct lighting of the Empire State Building is one detail that should not be overlooked .

Thanks,

mal

(a proud former New Yorker)

697ESB.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I just downloaded Manhattan X (my favorite as I grew up in NYC). The software is fine but Aerosoft should have paid a bit more attention to details. I understand this is a simulation and not/not the real world. One thing that caught my attention was the multicolor buildings. From a distance (especially at night) buildings look like rainbows. Building should have a metalic or sand color (as above pic shows). When I am flying at night the buildings' colors are visible (not a chance in real life). They should, instead, look like bars with lights. Can you actually see a blue building at night?? Darkness hide colors.

If that can be fixed on the next go around this will be perfect. I must say it does not look too bad.

Agreed !

And we barely recognize Time Square night lights !

And with surrounding airports (La Guardia and maybe soon Newark), an optimized - upgrade payware version would be great.

• Aerosoft

The biggest problem with this project is without a doubt the fact that if you add details to one area other areas look bland and if you increase the details in all areas you get a slide show. This is certainly an area at night as light effects cause FSX to slow down far more then anything else. I know the city pretty good and I must say that a lot of the night images you can find online do not show the city realistic. It's far to easy to enhance contrast these days in digital images!

Rainbow effect at night are not intended btw and point to an incorrect setting in either FSX or the 3d settings of the GPU, we see this a lot with tweaked configuration files.

In all the large cities done by Aerosoft, there is a tradeoff between the amount of polygons onscreen, the frames per second, and the affect on both of these by additional 3rd party scenery's in nearby areas.

The million dollar question for me, considering the announcement of support for X-plane 10, is what the polygon-pushing potential of that Sim will be, and how that might affect an Aerosoft rendition of New York for X-plane. (should there ever be one)

Depending on the answer to that question, some very exciting times could be ahead.