Falcon Ultralight - dive brakes?

MarkHurst

In the manual (p9), the short field approach checklist mentions deploying the rudder dive brakes, but there is no apparent way to do this. Is it modelled? Otherwise this is a very slippery model to land!

Looking at page 13 of THIS MANUAL

Maybe setting parking brakes / brakes whilst airborn might deply the dive brakes.

Good suggestion, but no! I notice there are two rudders, one on each wingtip, and that they operate independently. I wonder if in real life you can push both pedals at once, which presumably would shove both rudders outwards at the same time. The question is, is this simulated?

[Later...]

Okay, there is a spoiler axis you can bind a joystick axis to, and that operates both rudders outwards together! I haven't gotten it to work at the same time as the rudder yet, but I will persevere!

In the manual (p9), the short field approach checklist mentions deploying the rudder dive brakes, but there is no apparent way to do this. Is it modelled? Otherwise this is a very slippery model to land!

Problem solved - map the 'spoiler' axis to a lever on the yoke, which gives nice progressive spoiler control! Only thing is the 'rudder' action is disconnected while spoilers are deployed; dunno if that's how it is in the real world.

Problem solved - map the 'spoiler' axis to a lever on the yoke, which gives nice progressive spoiler control! Only thing is the 'rudder' action is disconnected while spoilers are deployed; dunno if that's how it is in the real world.

Not too sure, but you always have secondary effects of controls so its not really a problem. Rather than crabbing in on an X wind landing just fly the wing down method :)

• Upvote 1

Hi Mark

You seem to have sorted it out :D As you say the rudder pedals operate the drag rudders independantly , so in the real world if you stamp on both pedals at once they both deploy as spoilers to give glide slope control,(it is modeled), of course you then have no more travel for the rudders to give a steering effect so you have to back off on the spoilers to gain rudder control . Unfortunately FSX isn't that intelligent (or I'm not !) so in the sim even with full spoilers deployed although there is no extra movement rudder control is retained.

Cheers

Dave R

Hi Mark

You seem to have sorted it out :D As you say the rudder pedals operate the drag rudders independantly , so in the real world if you stamp on both pedals at once they both deploy as spoilers to give glide slope control,(it is modeled), of course you then have no more travel for the rudders to give a steering effect so you have to back off on the spoilers to gain rudder control . Unfortunately FSX isn't that intelligent (or I'm not !) so in the sim even with full spoilers deployed although there is no extra movement rudder control is retained.

Cheers

Dave R

Thanks Dave, I now realise you mean the rudders continues to work even while the dive brakes are out - it just doesn't look like they do. Works great, and it is a great bird for sure!