How do you get the BT flying

Rockitglider

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting the BT engine going. Since the tow plane won't tow the BT because it has an engine, and the BT won't launch with the engine alone from the ground, I use the winch start to get it airorne then try to activate the engine following the steps on page 37 in the ENG manual, it just won't start. Does anyone have a procedure that works consistently with this version of the Discus. I have no trouble with the BM version, the motor works well on that one. Please help, Thanks,

Rockitglider :glider_s:

hmm, please describe what you're actually doing. Only one single little point forgotten or wrong will cause a not working engine.

Cheers Joachim

Hello Joachim,

OK I load the plane Discus BT at andres field on RWY 28, turn on power to GPS and c4, then start winch launch, after launching I trim the plane for a straight smooth glide, then I extend the motor, turn on ignition, change static to motor, after light turns green I turn on fuel to open, then I pull the decompression lever.

Thanks, Rockitglider

Hello again,

I got it running, I had to dive to gain more speed for the motor to start, guess I wan't going fsst enough But thanks for your help. The manual is in kph and the plane is in knots on the speedometer(British Version). It's working well.

See ya, Rockitglider

OK,

Well I did a long flight with the BT and it seems like it takes about an hour to get a thousand feet altitude. Is this correct? I'm flying with Fair Weather set, no wind, maybe that's the problem. I'm keeping the glider just above stall speed climing very slowly, any faster climb and it stalls. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Otherwise the glider flies good, but didn't get to do much with it as I was only able to get to 4500 feet Approx. Made it back to Andres for a smooth landing.

You should be able to get higher, but not that slow. Look out for the blue marking on the ASI and fly this speed. This is best climb speed for engine operation. And release water.

With water released you should get around 200ft/min climb until 2000ft or something, maybe less, and then a bit slower. But you should reach more than 4500 ft.

However, it is a weak noisy engine. It is made for coming home, not climbing to stratusphere :D

Cheers Joachim

You should be able to get higher, but not that slow. Look out for the blue marking on the ASI and fly this speed. This is best climb speed for engine operation. And release water.

With water released you should get around 200ft/min climb until 2000ft or something, maybe less, and then a bit slower. But you should reach more than 4500 ft.

However, it is a weak noisy engine. It is made for coming home, not climbing to stratusphere :D

Cheers Joachim

Hello again,

Ok that is most likely the problem, I'll try releasing the ballast water. It definitely works good for coming home, but the problem is getting a good launch from the winch on a glider that has a motor in it, very heavy for the winch I think. The first time I tried I broke the winch line, so since then I try not to pull up too hard, therefore not getting a very good launch, I try to zoom the launch at the end just before release but I don't get a whole lot of speed built up to climb much. Thanks for your help with this, just want you to know I'm not complaining, just trying to get the best flights possible from your sail planes. Thanks,

I just want to add that I took the BM for a long(ish) distance glide - Lasham - Booker (overhead) - Compton Abbas (overhead) - Lasham last week and it performed wonderfully using just the thermals in FSX after starting a 5000 feet over Lasham (I cheated and used the winch to get me to that height!).

Congratulations on what is a truly superb product and here's hoping there are some more gliders and motor gliders in the pipeline from Aerosoft. Personally I'd like to see a Grob 109 and a Morganski Swift - pity the one in the Uk that used pyrotechnics crashed in August.

As for this thread, my point is that I agree with Joachim that you can get these machines to fly well.