Discus Gliders

Rockitglider

Hello,

I purchesed both of the Discus glider packages this week, and I have to say they fly really well, a small learning curve because all I've ever flown is RC Gliders, but I have been flying them for over 15 years. I'm very impressed at the detail both in the visual and flight modeling of these gliders. I think the K model is going to take some getting used to as I do my aerobatics in RC gliders and this is a big difference. The models don't yaw as much as the real thing, thereby making it easier to control in flight. But I'm sure with some practice I will get it without stalling :rolleyes: . Thanks for doing the Gliders, they are my favorite planes to fly. From what I've read in the manuals that came with them it was a great deal of work to complete them. I hope there will be some online flying for these often, but I need to figure out how to fly online first(Getting connected). Well, It's time to go up to the hill and fly my RC gliders, so have a great day, If you would like to see the hill, check out the link on my signature, there is also a weekly linked blog on RCGroups forum that has more current pics under the name MWilliams

See ya, Rockitglider :D

Thanks for the compliments - it's good you're starting with a detailed understanding of slope soaring, so ridge soaring in the Discus should be second nature...

If you haven't installed it already, get CumulusX - this will give you thermals with cumulus clouds on top *and* ridge lift, the two essentials for soaring.

As a RC pilot, you won't have spent too much time with the instruments I guess, and the Discus has a full competition panel. But altitude/speed/vario will do for local soaring... there are a couple of tutorials in a sub-forum of this one.

Here are some ridge-soaring tasks, all designed for a NW wind (of, say, 17 knots), from Mifflin, PA:

mifflin_tasks.jpg

B21

Thanks for the compliments - it's good you're starting with a detailed understanding of slope soaring, so ridge soaring in the Discus should be second nature...

If you haven't installed it already, get CumulusX - this will give you thermals with cumulus clouds on top *and* ridge lift, the two essentials for soaring.

As a RC pilot, you won't have spent too much time with the instruments I guess, and the Discus has a full competition panel. But altitude/speed/vario will do for local soaring... there are a couple of tutorials in a sub-forum of this one.

Here are some ridge-soaring tasks, all designed for a NW wind (of, say, 17 knots), from Mifflin, PA:

mifflin_tasks.jpg

B21

Hello B21,

I'll give this PA flight a try for sure, looks like fun. I've tried ridge lift at Andres with a 17knot wind, and it didn't work very well, but that was before I registered the CumulusX!, so I'm going to finish reading the manual before I setup the program for ridge lift again. If you have any tips or setup files you can share, please do. Thanks again for your reply.

Rockitglider :glider_s:

Hello B21,

I'll give this PA flight a try for sure, looks like fun. I've tried ridge lift at Andres with a 17knot wind, and it didn't work very well, but that was before I registered the CumulusX!, so I'm going to finish reading the manual before I setup the program for ridge lift again. If you have any tips or setup files you can share, please do. Thanks again for your reply.

Rockitglider :glider_s:

Rockitglider: please let us know how you make out with the registered CumulusX!. I am giving the demo a try this week. I works well with thermal lift, but ridge

or slope does not seem to not be available. Other wise a very good addision to FSX.

DA! never mind I got it now. Seems I never installed the Sim Probe part of the CX! down load. Still some learning curve to go but Ridge lift is showing up now.

Rockitglider: please let us know how you make out with the registered CumulusX!. I am giving the demo a try this week. I works well with thermal lift, but ridge

or slope does not seem to not be available. Other wise a very good addision to FSX.

DA! never mind I got it now. Seems I never installed the Sim Probe part of the CX! down load. Still some learning curve to go but Ridge lift is showing up now.

Hello,

Well I originally bought the full version to stop the jitters when in chase view but it really didn't stop that all the way but it did help it. I really like the tow plane function, being able to use it wherever I want to. I used to use the tow plane with Emma Field alot. I recomend it as it really doesn't cost much and I'm sure alot of work went in to it and still does. I still have not used the ridge lift much as I've been busy chasing thermals :), but I will try soon.

See ya, Rockitglider :glider_s:

I also went for the full lic. After installing sim probe every thing is working better. I like your land fill slope, I have visited Key West & Ruskin Fla. several times and thought to myself that they would be great slope sites. Give the Miffin Pa. day 1 task a try, its fun! plan ahead. I did manage to complete it first try. However I won't say how long my time was. I was flying the soar Discus v3. The Aerosoft Discus x is on my wish list!

yeah the Mifflin tasks are available packaged up as missions here, to swap the aircraft just pause at the start of the mission and use the FSX menu bar.

B21