Forum Maintenance Period (02/05 - 03/05) ×

My recipy for a rather smooth autoland with V1.11

tup61

After having a LOT of trouble getting the Airbus to autoland properly with V1.11 I finally managed to get it done (thanks to, amongst others, tips from smark and alehead). Here is my recipy which I just tested succesfully and which is a bit different than the tutorial procedure- and checklist. And I don't know if it's a bit realistic (don't think so), but at least it works for now... The problems I had were: I couldn't get to Vapp (the AP wouldn't do what I wanted to do until it was too late) and the G/S was a very violent happening, with also resulted in speeds going up (to 180) and down (to lower than Vapp, which was 125).

1. When cleared for approach (in my case by FSX ATC): enable LOC (not APPR), set Vapp (selected: managed won't do anything) and set flap 1 at green dot (in my case speed usually only goes down when the assigned alt is reached)

2. At S set flap 2 and then lower gear

3. At F (which is VERY quick) go to flap 3 and then full (almost immediately), enable ground spoilers (autobrake etc. has been set earlier on already) (In fact step 2 and 3 are one big step because F follows S very quickly and before you know it you are below Vapp!)

4. When you see on the PFD that you are almost intercepting the G/S, press APPR and AP2 (not earlier)

That's it. WIth a load of something like 80% of everything and 6100 kg fuel I autolanded at -4 going to -3. Vapp still wasn't reached (speed went up to 140 every now and then and was 130 at touchdown, while Vapp was 125) but that was no problem.

The trick, so it seems, is to enable APPR and AP2 as late as possible and when you are acutally intercepting the G/S. This shouldn't be the case, obviously (you should be able to turn on APPR as soon as you got cleared), but right now this is the only way I can get the Airbus to autoland smoothly. When I follow the tutorial and enable APPR and AP2 earlier, things go downhill (figularly and literally). Still don't know why speed won't go down when I want it to, but well... after having one succesfull autoland in three days, I am a happy man...^_^

• Upvote 1

Just did another flight and autoland with my 'procedure' and again everything went fine. This time autoland was even smoother, at -2 (I think because after -3 you don't seen any numbers anymore on the alt tape). I am glad I can stay with V1.11 after all. ^_^

What do you mean by -4, -3, -2?

Glad I could help by the way! :)

Andrew

The vertical speed (on the alt tape on the PFD) during flare and landing!

Yes, credit where credit is due! ^_^

Vapp still wasn't reached (speed went up to 140 every now and then and was 130 at touchdown, while Vapp was 125) but that was no problem.

You shouldn't forget that the indicated Vapp speed in the MCDU is just the speed with no winds. So, having a headwind of 10 knots would make your Vapp 130. What i want to say is that as long as there is wind, you will NEVER reach exactly that particular Vapp speed as you must take the wind speeds into your calculations. And as in most cases there is wind, you will nearly always have to add a specific amount of knots to your calculated Vapp speed indicated in the MCDU.

So, i think it is fully ok that you have not reached the 125knots as that would be too slow, although i don't know the whole circumstances under which you landed.

Wind does not affect Vapp !!

It will affect You landing distance.

Essential is Your speed through the air.

As Long as You are airborne it doesn´t matter if the airmass You are flying through also moves.

It will only affect Your groundspeed.

Finn

Wind does not affect Vapp !!

It will affect You landing distance.

Essential is Your speed through the air.

As Long as You are airborne it doesn´t matter if the airmass You are flying through also moves.

It will only affect Your groundspeed.

Finn

Erm Finn, i think you might be wrong or do you really want to tell me that Vapp (i.e. 125) keeps the same at "calm winds" and at 15knots headwind ???

• Deputy Sheriffs

He's quite right. While speed is added for gusts, it is never added for steady winds. Rules of thumb differ, but a common additive is the "gust spread" or "half the gust spread." This is wind down the runway (or "headwind componant", not cross wind, which is a directional control issue dealt with by crabbing large aircraft on final and slipping smaller aircraft on final).

So if the calm wind Vref or Vapp is, say, 125, it's also 125 with a steady 50 knot head wind.

Conversely, if the winds are 15 gusting to 25 down the runway, the "gust factor" is 10 knots (25-15). Depending on the airplane and company policy, you'd add 5 or 10 knots to your Vref or Vapp. Again, only with gusts.

Hope this helps.