Asim repaints

Gaura Mohana

Hi there

as some of you might know i'm working on a Finnair repaint. Now i need some help.

If anyone has the "other" A320/1/whatever, and happens to have the Finnair repaint, can they please send me the file that the tail is on? If you need help finding which file im talking about, please let me know.

Btw the repaint is supposedly free, so if you dont have it, could you please download it from the "tablet pc" and give 1 file to me?

Thanks in advance,

Gaura Mohana

Even repaints are copyrighted works, Guara. If it isn't freely downloadable, nobody can legally send it to you.

Actaully, not strictly true, no matter what Ariane or American Airlines lawyers might want you to believe. Free interpretation rights extend to physical representation and artistic merit. So I can paint as many Mona Lisa's as I like, as long as I don't pass them off as Da Vinci originals.

The question mark only arises of the use of logos and artwork that MAY be copyrighted, but even then fair comment and inadvertent use would apply. It is simply not possible to copyright art, only to protect other art from copying it and attempting to pass it off as original or to seek profit from it.

Think about it: If I take a picture of my motorcycle and show the Suzuki logo, am I breaching copyright and should I in fact seek Suzukis approval to show the logo? Of course not. If I paint a picture and use the Suzuki logo as fair representation of the item I am representing pictorially am I breaching copyright? Of course not. If I paint a picture of an airline logo and put it on my desktop representation of the aircraft am I breaching copyright? Actually no.

Interestingly though, you may have a point: Those that CHARGE for such artworks might be putting themselves at risk of copyright infringement, but that's a different story. One must assume until litigation proves otherwise that all these repainters that sell paints in the FS regime are licensed by the logo copyright holders, and hold Professional Indemnity insurance for their `professional` sales (in the commercial environment) of their wares. Any that aren't and don't are at risk of losing their house, cars and all their possessions as well as being left bankrupt by court and legal costs if they don't.

So actually, there is nothing in law in Europe to stop exactly what Gaura is seeking to do, as long as he has either no intention of sharing the result (the `private use` exclusion) or has no intention of selling the result (the `fair reporting` clause).