AFCAD development for the Schiphol scenery

camaflight

Hi,

In the wish list thread for Amsterdam Schiphol scenery Jeroen Eekho and Erik Brouwer have been so kind to provide us with an optional AFCAD for which comments are welcomed. I started this new thread about this AFCAD issue to avoid getting off topic in the wish list thread.

I have comments about the handling of takeoffs and landings:

I don't think it will be possible to handle this airport with just one single AFCAD. For the above AFCAD there will for example be northerly landings on Poldebaan (36L). As I understand from the table for windrelated runway use provided by Erik (see below), neither does this happen in real life and according to the exits for this runway nor would it be efficient. In addition there will be northerly takeoffs at Kagbaan (06) which is also very inefficient soon causing trafficjam of waiting ACs.

180-270 24TO, 18R/18C for landing

270-300 24TO, 27 for landing, also depending on wind strength. Use of 09/27 is restricted because of noise reduction.

300-000 36L/36C TO, 36R for landing

000-090 36L/36C TO, 06/36R for landing

090-180 18L TO, 18R/C for landing

To addapt the traffic handling at EHAM so much to real life as possible there should be optional AFCADS which allready come with the scenery package. However, these AFCADS should also take use of the so called STAR technique in order to have takeoffs and landings on none parallell runways.

Just my opinion, and I welcome comments as I (in between other tasks and activities..) am working on new STAR AFCADs.

Carl

Just a question to those who "knows" Schiphol.

When taxing to Polderbaan for takeoff at 36L, does any AC cross Zwanenburgbaan via f.ex W5 (36C/18C) ?

I hope so, because this seems to be (perhaps) the only way to achieve takeoffs at 36L in the flightsim.

Carl

Hi. That was why I said knowledge of AFCAD is required. Personally, I adapt the AFCAD everytime before I start a flight to or from AMS. Its just as simple as using a tool like Aerosoft provided. THe AFCAD I just uploaded is configured for southerly winds, because that was the latest situation I used it with.

If the winds change to norderly, you have to change my AFCAD yes. THe only thing needed is to close and open the runways as desired.

Take-off from the 36L can only be enabled when all other runways are closed for TO, as traffic automatically selects the closest runway. (with exception of 04/22, being to short)

When 18R and C are in use for landing, you should delete W5, so traffic from the 18R will taxi around the 18C. Otherwise, expect multiple Go Arounds due to crossing traffic.

Rgds,

Erik

When 18R and C are in use for landing, you should delete W5, so traffic from the 18R will taxi around the 18C. Otherwise, expect multiple Go Arounds due to crossing traffic.

Ok, so you also choose from multiple AFCADs.

As for the W5, in cases like that I allways make by-passes - meaning; making an additional taxi link that do not connect to any hold-short-node. Very, very rarely aircrafts landing or takeoff "collides" with the crossing AC. Using by-passes also avoid traffic jams. Making the by-pass as additional taxi link is important, especially when the link also is used as runway exit.

My thought was that for some AC the taxi distance to Polderbaan could be short enough when taking W5 in use. I forgot that it is the distance to the runway itself that is king.

About the 09-27; when strong wind from east there must be some limitating wind components for heavies making it very difficult to takeoff at full load as 09 is not in use. Or is 09 in use after all ?

Just wondering.

Carl